Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 30, 2014, 12:55:17 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Selling Domain Names...Is it worth bothering?  (Read 1125 times)
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:32:39 AM »

Just curious...Is it worth the effort it takes to sell a domain name?  I have never really looked much into it, so I would like to know if anybody has done it...

Seems to be the reward is not worth the effort  huh

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss

mahesh2k
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 06:10:14 AM »

Before 2009 it was profitable. Now a days buying a brand domain will get you into trouble and you have to forfeit the domains when they send single email with trademark infringement.

Buying small name domains was all rage because people used to type earlier but these days people hop from one site to another and also use the bookmarking tools, so not much of benefit these days.

On the other hand, if you build a website with some "keyword in domain" and content then site and domain both will have a resale value. Go to flippa to see the market of domains and websites in sale.
mitzevo
Supporting Member

Control is power

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:31:27 AM »

It can be rewarding if you know what you're doing.  Thmbsup

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:36:08 AM »

It can be rewarding if you know what you're doing.  Thmbsup

I won't bother then tongue

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss

db90h
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Member

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »

It depends solely on the domain name and if anyone else wants that domain name. Some domains are worth millions of dollars (e.g. sex(dot)com), others are worth nothing - even though people like to think they are. I've been trimming down my domain portfolio, declaring most worthless to me, or not worth the trouble of selling.

If you do decide to sell, services like GoDaddy make it pretty easy to put it up for 'auction'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.08 ]