Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 01, 2014, 04:54:36 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Not Unicode?  (Read 1550 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »

Is there ever any compelling reason to not use Unicode?

Like, why would anyone ever use a local language encoding?

Perhaps on extremely small controller chips, like 8-bit or 4-bit procs, you may be pressed for space, but in the normal world of computing... any reasons?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 02:45:24 AM »

Is there ever any compelling reason to not use Unicode?
1) When using a compiler/runtime lib that doesn't (natively) support unicode... (ex. Delphi / BCB < 2009)

daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »

See also this thread. I had asked the same thing not long ago, as you probably know.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »

I remember that thread. Slightly different question here, but close.

I suppose that if the tools you have don't support it... then... ummm... yeah, why not retool? cheesy (That's not really practical for a lot of people.)

It just seems like it's been so long that by now things should work properly. Sad

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Ath
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:00:58 AM »

A related question that popped up recently (but has been lingering around for a while), is if a Unicode-capable program, should also support rtl-languages like Chinese, Japanese, Arabic etc., now that these character-sets are supported?

Writing software that is available, and could be used, globally, I might have to educate myself in these features and languages, just to 'support' the roughly 1/3 part of the world that uses their language that way...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.04 ]