SCREENSHOT OF APP INTERFACE:Introduction/Overview:
|App Name|| (Freeware)|
|Thumbs-Up Rating|| |
|App Version Reviewed||Freeware version 2.68.3|
This is the current latest version, released May 23rd 2012.
See the release notes here.
|Test System Specs.||Win7-64 Home Premium|
|Supported OSes||Windows 7 is the only one mentioned, but I presume XP would be OK, except maybe not for TV channel viewing.|
|Support Methods||Website says "If you need to get in touch then please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org"|
Comprehensive Help file.
|Upgrade Policy||Free updates. Check for newer versions from the Help menu.|
|Other Versions Available?|
A very nice Internet streamed radio/TV manager, and set up for easy find, capture and play.
A simple GUI belying its relatively extensive functionality and a comprehensive set of tools. Key Features:
- Enables you to listen to and simultaneously record multiple streamed Internet Radio Stations from around the world.
- Search, capture and management of available Internet radio stations and their output.
- Capture and management of recording/playback of Internet radio stations and specific song tracks (where track separation is possible in a digital stream).
- Search for and select Internet-streamed radio stations from around the world.
- Select, sort, manage station Favourites.
- Select/set some stations as presets for speed of access.
- Select several stations to stream simultaneously as a grouped "Session". (Like saving a set of tabs in a browsing session, to restart as a set at a later point.)
- Stream and record multiple stations simultaneously, whilst listening to another station.
- Uses streamed station data (where present) to collect station logo and album cover art for currently streaming sessions, and song lyrics.
- Can record either a station stream or just a currently playing song (if the stream data defines the latter).
- Has facility to create a schedule for automatic recording.
- Displays station stream information.
- Displays cover art and lyrics for each song.
- Can also connect to Internet TV stations.
- Shutdown timer.
- Dynamic boost.
- Splitting files.
- Playlist files.
(Edit 2012-04-27) The installer currently comes with an OpenCandy
install and if you do not select the "Custom Installation" and untick the Babylon adware, then the adware will be installed by default.
If, like me, you have an outgoing firewall block (I use Windows 7 Firewall Control <---
), then the installer will not be able to "phone home" and fetch the adware, and the OpenCandy part of the install will not occur and will not be apparent to you at all.
(Thanks to @PhilB66
for alerting me to this, in the discussion thread below.)Who this app is designed for:
Anyone who likes to listen to different radio services across the world, and who would also like to record stations/songs - or, (say) a radio theatre play - as they listen.The Good:
It works very well, and does what it is designed to do.
Is a surprisingly comprehensive radio application.
Comprehensive Help file. Limitations:
It seems to be constrained only by those stations that do not meet with the stream data standard that RarmaRadio needs to look for.
Thus you may get one station that is mono in one ear,
or RarmaRadio is unable to automatically determine the details of a song that is streaming, or when it has ended (for recording purposes).Conclusions:
Super radio, and a beautiful, intuitive interface.
Very useful and enjoyable tool for those who like listening to the radio and/or recording programmes/music.
(I have not checked out its TV functionality.)Links to other reviews of this application: