topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Feature Request] Grab Region to Capture Mouse Cursor  (Read 10355 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
[Feature Request] Grab Region to Capture Mouse Cursor
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Salvete!  I am requesting a feature to be able to capture the mouse cursor during a "Grab Region" procedure.

Preliminary Notes:
  • There is already a mouse delay feature, and the user is able to set a custom delay time.
  • The standard capture delay happens *before* a capture.
  • Using this delay time is of little or no value for a "Grab Region" procedure, since it only causes the user to have to wait before he can select the region - what good is that?
  • There is no convenient way to capture the mouse during a "Grab Region" procedure, without some combination tricks.  (See https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=29580)

However, the delay feature may become useful for "Grab Region" if it affected the grab *after* the user selects a region.  Then the user would have time to move the mouse back into the region for it to be captured.  Now, I think the "region selection box" should be visible during the time of delay, that way the user doesn't have to guess where to put his mouse.  Then, of course, the box goes away at the end of the delay and the capture is made.

I am proposing these changes:
  • Change the way "Use Delay" works ONLY for "Grab Region".
  • Move the delay for "Grab Region" to *after* the user draws the selection box.
  • Leave the selection box visible until the delay ends.
  • Leave the "Capture Cursor" option just the way it is.

Thanks for your attention!

-BGM

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Feature Request] Grab Region to Capture Mouse Cursor
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Makes sense to me.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:19 PM »
I'm voting +1 :up: (as if that would help ;D)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:15 AM »
Sounds promising -- I hope it's easy to implement :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 03:56 PM »
try the new beta official release:

v3.04.01 - Apr 12, 2012
  • [BugFix] Panel height for resizable bottom info panel was not being saved/restored between runs.
  • [Feature] Selection (marching ants) is now shown live in the bottom left zoom panel (cursor location is now shown more clearly too).
  • [BugFix] Dirty files are saved prior to executing a zupload action (ensures you dont upload a file that has changed but not been saved yet).
  • [Feature] Added cancel button in options to abandon any changes made in options dialog.
  • [Feature] Installer now has checkbox to start-with-windows (unchecked by default); you can use /MERGETASKS="startforall" if you want to enable this by default during install.
  • [Feature] You can now use alt+arrows to nudge upper left corner of selection (use shift+arrows to nudge bottom right corner, plain arrows to move selection box, and ctrl+arrows to adjust both corners).
  • [Feature] Color of pixel under cursor is now shown on statusbar menu toolbar; hit Ctrl+Alt+B in main window to copy it to cursor (or use alt+E to choose copy color from Edit menu).
  • [MajorFeature] When performing a selected-region capture you can now see a zoomed inset window showing magnified pixel details and precise selection crosshairs; see options for control over the zoom magnification and panel size, and to disable.
  • [Feature] You can now move the cursor icon to be captured when performing a selected-region capture; just hit the C key to move it under the mouse.  You can even use this to ADD the cursor if you do not have "capture cursor" mode enabled by default.
  • [Feature] In selected-region capture you can hit the spacebar to reset the starting selection box position (escape cancels).
  • [MinorFeature] Option added to revert to old small crosshairs in selection-region capture mode.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:26 PM by mouser »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Sorry, where is the link we should go to for testing the beta?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:13 PM »
We're getting there!
I think I have one more mini-feature request - can we make one of the "hotkeys" clicking on the tray icon? That way it can all be mouse driven without reaching over to PrintScrn.

Otherwise it's getting close to replacing Snippy!
If anyone wants to know, I am running with the following options:

Save & Load Files / Don't AutoSave
Window Capturing 1 / Do not try to capture Aero (on XP)
ScreenShot Folder / Adjusted Folder location
Post Capture / Copy Image to Clipboard
Post Capture / Do not play sound
*Selection Capture Options/ Uncheck Full Size Crosshais
*Selection Capture Options/ Uncheck Zoom Panel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 05:19 PM »
can we make one of the "hotkeys" clicking on the tray icon?

what do you mean?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 05:26 PM »
can we make one of the "hotkeys" clicking on the tray icon?

what do you mean?

Currently my hot(key/etc) is PrintScreen to go to Selected Region. Aka, pull up the (small!) crosshairs and start drawing a selection box.

But instead of that key or any other, can that be given to a mouse click on the tray icon?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32 PM »
you can trigger any of the capture modes from a right click on tray icon already.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40 PM »
you can trigger any of the capture modes from a right click on tray icon already.

Fairly enough pointed out!

But if I beg and plead can we set one of them to default on LeftClick? Pleeese?  ;)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for the beta.  Appreciate being able to see more easily and make finer adjustments  :Thmbsup:

I found some of the features nicely summarized at:

ssc-sec-cap-opts.png[Feature Request] Grab Region to Capture Mouse Cursor

Thanks for the New Zoom Magnification Panel In Selecter Region Capture Mode screencast too.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 07:25 PM »
I love the new cursor options for region captures!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:  Unmatched flexibility - just awesome work!!!

I'm of two minds (heh - two more than normal I think) about the traveling zoom magnification panel - that's a lot of screen redraws if there's a background image in its path.

But if I beg and plead can we set one of them to default on LeftClick? Pleeese?  ;)

If you had the option, would you want just the simple left-click configurable, or would you want to allow shift, ctrl & alt combinations too?  That would give you four methods with a click or key + click.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 09:44 AM »

But if I beg and plead can we set one of them to default on LeftClick? Pleeese?  ;)

If you had the option, would you want just the simple left-click configurable, or would you want to allow shift, ctrl & alt combinations too?  That would give you four methods with a click or key + click.

Depending if it's either-or, or both - (it's easy to say "moar featurz!"), I am just trying to fine tune SS-C into a total replacement for Snippy. I saw this early on, and it just bothered me to see such an immense program be not usable for me!  (At that particular stage.)  So for myself personally, I'd just want the Left-Click configurable, because my ailing memory begins to lose count of which is alt-something, or control-something, or shift-alt-etc. My workhorse use case (with Snippy, and requested here) is click tray icon which launches the crosshairs, click then hold left mouse button to draw the capture box, send it to the clipboard (I found that already in the prefs), then paste it into a Sticky (Tom Revell of Zhorn.)

So I'm all for there also being those shift-click things too, I just wouldn't use them all that much. I'd probably go back to Mouser's other suggestion, so if I needed something fancy, rightclick pulls up the whole menu list. But since that one use case is 95% of my workflow, that's why I requested it.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 11:49 PM »
There's a second beta out there! And it looks like it works! So barring any fluke results, that's why Mouser beat the Resident Pest! (me). All hail Mouser! Okay, I'll quiet down now!  :P

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 08:31 AM »
I set up the second Beta at both home and work, so with the new tray click features it's undergoing live testing starting today!

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Thank you!