ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: Music/File Search...

(1/1)

TenPlus1:
With all the new music players out there, not all can afford to put a library feature, and the one's that do scan each mp3/wma/ogg file tag which means it takes ages to scan a hard-drive full of 2200 albums...

Would it be possible to make a small window-search utility where you can specify a path to your files/folders... In turn this will generate a quick-list of directory and filenames which are saved in a compressed file and loaded each time with the program...

From there you can type keywords like BRITNEY which will bring up every file and/or directory with the word BRITNEY in it...  now all you have to do is drag & drop whatever files you like onto your own music/video player and it'll play :)

Sounds good to me :)

looper:
I have noticed recently that you can do this with Windows Explorer. Simply open your music folder and press Ctrl-F. Then type in 'Britney' or whatever. I am using Windows XP and it will search ID tags too!

TenPlus1:
Yep, that's one way of doing it, although it takes time to scan through all of the directories unless you have Indexing ON, which I dont because it slows the whole system down...

The above idea was mainly to load a quick file-list into memory to make searching really fast and efficient, and could be used not only for standard mp3's but the non-standard OGG's which I mainly use, plus even other files like photo searching etc...

mouser:
this sounds like an ideal task for these new desktop search engines, like X1, msn desktop search, google desktop search, yahoo.. i agree i dont like slowing system down with constant monitoring, but some of these let you tell it exactly when to update its database..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version