Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 23, 2014, 09:26:34 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: Music/File Search...  (Read 3912 times)
TenPlus1
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 21, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »

With all the new music players out there, not all can afford to put a library feature, and the one's that do scan each mp3/wma/ogg file tag which means it takes ages to scan a hard-drive full of 2200 albums...

Would it be possible to make a small window-search utility where you can specify a path to your files/folders... In turn this will generate a quick-list of directory and filenames which are saved in a compressed file and loaded each time with the program...

From there you can type keywords like BRITNEY which will bring up every file and/or directory with the word BRITNEY in it...  now all you have to do is drag & drop whatever files you like onto your own music/video player and it'll play smiley

Sounds good to me smiley
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 02:18:36 AM by mouser » Logged
looper

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 06:21:56 PM »

I have noticed recently that you can do this with Windows Explorer. Simply open your music folder and press Ctrl-F. Then type in 'Britney' or whatever. I am using Windows XP and it will search ID tags too!
TenPlus1
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 05:58:29 AM »

Yep, that's one way of doing it, although it takes time to scan through all of the directories unless you have Indexing ON, which I dont because it slows the whole system down...

The above idea was mainly to load a quick file-list into memory to make searching really fast and efficient, and could be used not only for standard mp3's but the non-standard OGG's which I mainly use, plus even other files like photo searching etc...
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 02:11:44 AM »

this sounds like an ideal task for these new desktop search engines, like X1, msn desktop search, google desktop search, yahoo.. i agree i dont like slowing system down with constant monitoring, but some of these let you tell it exactly when to update its database..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.17 ]