topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Music/File Search...  (Read 7718 times)

TenPlus1

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Music/File Search...
« on: May 21, 2005, 09:44 AM »
With all the new music players out there, not all can afford to put a library feature, and the one's that do scan each mp3/wma/ogg file tag which means it takes ages to scan a hard-drive full of 2200 albums...

Would it be possible to make a small window-search utility where you can specify a path to your files/folders... In turn this will generate a quick-list of directory and filenames which are saved in a compressed file and loaded each time with the program...

From there you can type keywords like BRITNEY which will bring up every file and/or directory with the word BRITNEY in it...  now all you have to do is drag & drop whatever files you like onto your own music/video player and it'll play :)

Sounds good to me :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 02:18 AM by mouser »

looper

Re: MUST-HAVE: Music/File Search...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 06:21 PM »
I have noticed recently that you can do this with Windows Explorer. Simply open your music folder and press Ctrl-F. Then type in 'Britney' or whatever. I am using Windows XP and it will search ID tags too!

TenPlus1

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 05:58 AM »
Yep, that's one way of doing it, although it takes time to scan through all of the directories unless you have Indexing ON, which I dont because it slows the whole system down...

The above idea was mainly to load a quick file-list into memory to make searching really fast and efficient, and could be used not only for standard mp3's but the non-standard OGG's which I mainly use, plus even other files like photo searching etc...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 02:11 AM »
this sounds like an ideal task for these new desktop search engines, like X1, msn desktop search, google desktop search, yahoo.. i agree i dont like slowing system down with constant monitoring, but some of these let you tell it exactly when to update its database..