ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: 1-action Unzip

<< < (6/10) > >>

nosh:
The most seamless handling of zip files I've seen was by Zipmagic (not too sure what's become of the product... )

- they had something called ZipFolders.
Append .zip to a folder name and it gets compressed into a zip file.
Click on a zip file and it opens in Windows Explorer, just as a folder would.

Wonder why that didn't catch on or get built right into Windows Explorer... I'd love for a utility to handle .rar files that way.

c.gingerich:
Finished the update:

This turned out to be a really sweet app IMO.

After install you will get a settings dialog (see attached image) that will allow you to:

* Set the file associations (supported file types are ZIP, RAR, 7z, TAR, CAB)
* Set an Open With application to open archives (used when FastUnzip Snack is disabled or popup menu is used)
* Disable FastUnzip Snack (must have an Open With application set)
* Use a popup menu before extraction (see attached image)
You can also open the settings from Start > FastUnzip Snack > FastUnzip Snack Settings

Download from my original post as well as screen shots. I'm also going to put this under Announce Your Software.

TaoPhoenix:

Wonder why that didn't catch on or get built right into Windows Explorer... I'd love for a utility to handle .rar files that way.
-nosh (April 25, 2012, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I got the impression that MS used to like to build "purposely bad knockoffs" of famous utilities just enough to cannibalize the premum app, and the extract wizard always felt like a junk copy of things like WinZip. I've seen more effort from some of y'all on like 3 weeks on an app than lots of MS's little trinkets. (System Restore was another one, felt like a junk copy of GoBack.)

TaoPhoenix:
Close, but I dunno if this is a quirk on just my machine or not, when it extracts it seems like the folder isn't created, so when it puts the archive into the folder, it looks like it's gone! However, Right Click - Refresh makes it appear.

Any advice?

(In a related note, another app that modifies show/don't show file extensions needs a refresh too.)

c.gingerich:
Yeah, that does the same on my system. I have other apps that do that as well. WinRAR and 7-Zip both do that. I'll try to see if I can add a refresh to the folder after extraction. I'll get to this tomorrow.

Also, on a side note, if I am using an app like this in a folder that is inside a Dropbox folder that happens as well. But in another folder it shows fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version