topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Microsoft takes on Dropbox with major SkyDrive update  (Read 40001 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft takes on Dropbox with major SkyDrive update
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2012, 03:01 PM »
By the way, the Syncdocs thing seems to be a bit of a scam. After it has synced 500 documents, it stops syncing and asks you to start paying a fee for the service. Since I don't value the service nor the data, I am hardly likely to be willing to pay for it - in fact, I think the bandwidth it uses in duplicating all those files is a waste of money.
For example, if I have a document in (say) 3 different Gdocs virtual folders (they are really labels), then SyncDocs faithfully creates 3 "real" folders on my local PC and puts one copy of the document into each of them. Sheesh.

Good to know, thanks.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2012, 09:24 PM »
i actually like this feature. if you want to share a certain file in a folder, there is  no need to move that file into the 'Public' folder. thus orphaning it from the rest of the items in the original folder.
agreed, no big deal but it's an oft requested feature and quite convenient too.
That has been possible for ages with Gdocs. You just email people with a sharing link to the document, and the link can give anyone who has it read access, or write access, if you stipulate that.
At any time, you can revert the file to non-shared/"private" status, and thus remove further read/write access to the file at that point - thus rendering the sharing link obsolete.

i know about that feature, but Gdocs emphasises on documents but Dropbox is more on general storage. that is why i like it even more in Dropbox because my sharing is not limited to documents.. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2012, 09:29 PM »
i know about that feature, but Gdocs emphasises on documents but Dropbox is more on general storage. that is why i like it even more in Dropbox because my sharing is not limited to documents.. :)

Well now that Google Docs is (part of?) Google Drive, it's no longer emphasizing documents but general storage. Just like Dropbox.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 01:44 AM »

Well now that Google Docs is (part of?) Google Drive, it's no longer emphasizing documents but general storage. Just like Dropbox.

lol, that fact is not lost on me.. :D