ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft takes on Dropbox with major SkyDrive update

<< < (9/11) > >>

IainB:
Has anyone been successful in downloading and installing their application on XP?
-app103 (April 24, 2012, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
You maybe don't need to, depending on your requirements.
I haven't finished playing about with it enough to be sure just yet, but the application appears to be integrated with the shell for Windows Explorer and also acts as a sync tool for SkyDrive - i.e., I think it creates a local sync copy of what is on Sky Drive.
I already had my directory listing of SkyDrive in my Windows Explorer from a while back - I had mapped it as a network drive. You can drag and drop to it, etc.
I'm not so sure I want a redundant/duplicate local sync copy of SkyDrive on my local drive, so I may disable it if it does what I think it does.

I already have a Sync tool for Google docs, and I disabled that for the same reason - redundant/duplicate local sync copy. I still keep it as a mapped network drive though.

Stoic Joker:
I'm not so sure I want a redundant/duplicate local sync copy of SkyDrive on my local drive, so I may disable it if it does what I think it does.-IainB (April 25, 2012, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like you're more trusting than I. I tend to stay focused on the possibility of their stuff failing (regarding the cloud in general...not just MS). In a major failure data recovery scenario 3% loss is acceptable ... unless of course all your stuff just happens to be in that particular 3% :)

I'm toying with syncing my projects & source code archives between the office & home via the SkyDrive account. But that's allowing for a local copy bolted to the floor (and backed up) on both ends. The only stuff I'd store exclusively in "the cloud" is the stuff I don't give a damn about losing.

Carol Haynes:
From what I read (sorry can't remember where) the desktop app is not XP compatible.

Deozaan:
and Dropbox ups the ante!

• Share your stuff with a link! http://blog.dropbox.com/?p=1138
-lanux128 (April 25, 2012, 12:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

So now you don't have to put stuff in the public folder to share it with people? Cool!

rgdot:
and Dropbox ups the ante!

• Share your stuff with a link! http://blog.dropbox.com/?p=1138
-lanux128 (April 25, 2012, 12:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

So now you don't have to put stuff in the public folder to share it with people? Cool!
-Deozaan (April 25, 2012, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's it? Is that really such a big deal?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version