ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft takes on Dropbox with major SkyDrive update

<< < (7/11) > >>

Jibz:
"GDrive" is Google's version, to be announced any day now. I love all this storage; the more companies offering free products, the more users can be selective. Go * Microsoft.

* = away
-zridling (April 23, 2012, 11:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Everyone record this day. These are words that I NEVER thought I would see coming from Zaine's fingers!
-Josh (April 24, 2012, 03:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

No doubt! :)
-Renegade (April 24, 2012, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you forgot to read the small print :P.

Jibz:
Google Drive, SkyDrive & Dropbox compared [Digital Inspiration]
http://www.labnol.org/software/compare-google-drive-skydrive-dropbox/21214/

The 2-step (phone based) security that Google provides is the killer feature for me.
-nosh (April 24, 2012, 11:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

From the review:

SkyDrive offers plenty of storage space but the best part is that the SkyDrive web app lets you access files and folders of all your other computer right from within your browser. You just need to have SkyDrive on these machines and you can then easily access any of their files from any other computer, anywhere simply using your Windows Live ID.
--- End quote ---

Worries me slightly. I mean, it sounds like a nice idea, I'm just not sure I think Windows Live ID provides enough security to give access to all your files.

nosh:
Yup, scary stuff. The blackhats must be ecstatic!

lanux128:
Worries me slightly. I mean, it sounds like a nice idea, I'm just not sure I think Windows Live ID provides enough security to give access to all your files.-Jibz (April 25, 2012, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

more of that here. apparently there is a "second factor of authentication".

Note that, in order to access a remote PC you will have to provide a second factor of authentication beyond your account password. You’ll need to enter a code that we send to your mobile phone or alternate email address even if you’re already signed in to your SkyDrive account (if you’re already on a trusted PC, you won’t have to do this every time, and it is easy to do this one-time setup). This means that anyone wanting access to your remote PC would have to have access not only to your account, but also to either an alternate email or your phone (which they would need to physically possess).
--- End quote ---

https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/04/23/the-next-chapter-for-skydrive-personal-cloud-storage-for-windows-available-anywhere.aspx?wt.mc_id=newskydrive&Redirected=true

nosh:
Still worrying. It would have been nicer if the second factor was restricted to just the mobile phone. There are a whole lot of people working with already compromised email accounts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version