ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Per-User Software Installation (and the like...) Under *NIX

<< < (2/3) > >>

Edvard:
One of the aspects of using a package manager I appreciate is being able to cleanly remove packages -- so I like having a package manager that makes it easy to create packages for because often what I want to try is not packaged yet.
-ewemoa (May 21, 2014, 03:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Totally agree.  Apt-get purge <package> is sometimes my best friend.  When I go about installing the hard way, I either keep the source folder around so I can do a 'make uninstall' later, or I build an uninstall script from scratch and tuck it away in ~/.local/bin for later use.

ewemoa:
When I go about installing the hard way, I either keep the source folder around so I can do a 'make uninstall' later, or I build an uninstall script from scratch and tuck it away in ~/.local/bin for later use.
-Edvard (May 21, 2014, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, this makes sense -- it's too bad that the uninstall target isn't always there.

Repeating this type of activity after a while can lead to wondering whether putting together PKGBUILDs, .ebuilds, or Nix packages might be worth the effort :)

Edvard:
Yes, it's frustrating when the 'uninstall' target is not in the make file, but I can build an uninstall script (just a bunch of 'rm -rf' lines in a shell script) in less time than it takes me to build a binary .deb, which I have done when the situation calls for it (very few of 'em pass lintian, but as long as I know what's going on, I'm okay with that).

ewemoa:
Yes, it's frustrating when the 'uninstall' target is not in the make file, but I can build an uninstall script (just a bunch of 'rm -rf' lines in a shell script) in less time than it takes me to build a binary .deb, which I have done when the situation calls for it (very few of 'em pass lintian, but as long as I know what's going on, I'm okay with that).
-Edvard (May 21, 2014, 11:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't always found it easy to know exactly what files get installed (to know what to remove later).  IIRC, there are some programs that try to help with this during installation (e.g. checkinstall) -- but may be you knew about this sort of thing already :)

Edvard:
Ah, I'm talking mostly about applications I can set a custom install prefix for.  Usually, I make a 'target' directory in the source tree and install to that (./configure --prefix=/home/edvard/src/sourcefolder/target), then do a 'find ./target > list.txt' and then massage the list.txt file into a remove script.  If I intend to install to the filesystem proper, I make damn sure it's got a 'make uninstall' option first.
 :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version