ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The case for and against Censorship on the forum

<< < (3/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I'm getting a Topic Locked error.

IainB:
Just inserted another comment from @TaoPhoenix - out of the "Holocaust Remembrance Day" thread. See above - « Reply #4 on: Today at 22:35:21 »

IainB:
Thought from the 2nd thread:
mouser has always said that he feels that dc is not the right place for political and religious subjects. He's often ignored, but that wish does keep most of those discussions in check, which is helpful imo. I dont consider that censorship.
I've never seen a post censored here in the sense of removed.
-tomos (April 20, 2012, 02:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

TaoPhoenix:
Thought from the 2nd thread:
mouser has always said that he feels that dc is not the right place for political and religious subjects. He's often ignored, but that wish does keep most of those discussions in check, which is helpful imo. I dont consider that censorship.
I've never seen a post censored here in the sense of removed.
-tomos (April 20, 2012, 02:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
-IainB (April 20, 2012, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Combined with your other nice shout out of my post, this is mostly "superseded" with the advent of the Soap Box.

IainB:
Good opening effort Iain...
...make semi-scientific charts and diagrams of stuff. There's one going on here. Consider a Tree diagram - either vertically or horozontally is fine - that starts out with The Communication Medium Subset Content Guidelines. Here, the Communication Medium is all of DC, but this analysis applies to basically anything, from public parks to malls.

Branch #1: Governmental vs Corporate
This means that "Free Speech" works profoundly differently in Government controlled Public Areas vs Company controlled venues.
All the rules change in Company controlled. (Even if Mouser doesn't have a Biz name, it's still his ballpark, basically still Company controlled, such as a sole proprietorship.)
Branch #2: "Acceptible vs Not Acceptible".
I basically disposed of this for the Government areas above. For Company controlled areas, it's all about the Company's vision of what they are offering. This ranges all the way from zero monitored areas that can indeed include a bad trolling culture, yet even that is at the edges of the entire concept of speech. There are some ways to handle that, but nothing's perfect.
-TaoPhoenix (April 20, 2012, 11:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
First off, thanks for the appreciative comments. In my better moments, I generally tend to invest my cognitive surplus and do my best in anything that I:
(a) consider worth doing;
(b) consider could be of help/use to me or someone else.
Your branching tree scheme makes sense to me, and I think you are spot-on with your comments on "Company controlled". You there reflected my own thoughts about censorship by Google (which is discussed in another DCF thread).
That's one reason why I am ambivalent regarding business-necessary censorship in any commercial forum, including (say) the DC forum. One thing that I generally do have an issue with though is the potential for censorship through or combined with the use of stigmatisation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version