ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

BitDefender

(1/2) > >>

kalos:
hello!

I read in many recent antivirus tests that BitDefender is currently the best, what is your opinion on this?

also, I found that they offer a free version of their program, but I cannot find the limitations of the free version, if any

any hint?

thanks!

Curt:
This free antivirus software download is an on-demand virus scanner, which is best used in a system recovery or forensics role. If you are on an "always-on" Internet connection, we strongly advise you to consider using a more complex antivirus solution.-BitDefender Free
--- End quote ---

kalos:
oh, pretty useless then :/

Curt:
I have been quite pleased with Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall; free and easy.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

I also use WinPatrol and AnVir Task Manager Pro (both for control of startup),
and Zemana AntiLogger - but you can find free alternatives.

I should say that I have a lifetime license for Agnitum Outpost Security Suite Pro. But not drinking and driving, no that is another story, not visiting or downloading anything suspicious, I think this (extended) MS solution may be all I need. Less interference, and faster opening of (most) web pages.

4wd:
oh, pretty useless then :/-kalos (April 20, 2012, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not really, I think it's the only free option if you want to run an AV on Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm running it currently on WHS2011 but there is one very annoying 'feature' that will probably make me uninstall it: you have no say in what to do with any supposedly infected files - they will be deleted, disinfected or no action taken.  Absolutely no user decision is asked for.

In fact, it has the most useless settings section of any free AV I've ever seen.

So, if you want something with a little more interaction, then almost any other free AV is probably better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version