topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Team Time management/recording software  (Read 5587 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Team Time management/recording software
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:40 AM »
I have a client that needs to keep accurate records of billable time spent working for clients across a group of 5 employees.

There is plenty of software out there that can do this but most of it seems ridiculously expensive or too complex.

All that is needed is a timer application on each desktop where staff can click start and stop for a particular client thus recording periods of work. This information needs to be automatically collated into a report over a chosen period so that all work done for a client during a period is brought together and the time totalled.

Anyone know of something simple and cheap to achieve this?

Preferences:

• Local install - not cloud based (pref working across a workgroup based network).
  • If it is a commercial app preferably a one off payment rather than a subscription based model.
  • Must be Windows 7 x64 compatible.

TIA

By the way I have looked at Toggl which seems to do everything that is required and is free but to work with more than 5 people cost $5 per user per month which soon adds up.

It isn't clear to me either how you would set up a client list which is accessible to the whole group rather than having to enter the details for each person.

There is also the issue that it is entirely cloud based though CSV and PDF reports can be generated.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Team Time management/recording software
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Can you do something starting from Bestimate by Skwire?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Can you do something starting from Bestimate by Skwire?
-cranioscopical (April 20, 2012, 09:53 AM)

I doubt it since that app doesn't do any sort of timelining.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:03 PM »
I think the AbstractSpoon ToDoList would be able to do this. You might want to limit how much was visible if you want it to look simple, and you might have to tweak a report, but can do what you describe. The only issue might be everyone working at once using the same database over the network; I don't know if that can be done, and I'm not in a position to test it atm - would not be difficult to add them altogether at the end of a month, though, if everyone just used their own database. And, of course, it is free - though donations are accepted.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Looks like an interesting piece of software but far too complicated for what I need.

This is what I need:

1) Central client list

2) User runs little tool to select client and click start, pause and stop to measure the time working on the clients behalf.

3) On pressing stop the clients work record is updated with the time, date, name of user and duration recorded.

The manager can then access and see who has been working on a clients behalf, when and for how long and print a report to that effect for the client - ideally choosing a date range.

The icing on top (but not essential) would be to generate an invoice for the work for the client.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions - I think for the time being they are going to try the free Toggl.

I haven't written programs for a lot of years but this looks like a possible good project to try ... don't hold your breath though my intentions are always better than my actions :P