topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Humble Botanicula Debut  (Read 14127 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Humble Botanicula Debut
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:41 PM »
New Humble Bundle:

19-04-2012 22-37-29.jpg

see: http://www.humblebundle.com/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Humble Botanicula Debut
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:20 PM »
Glowing review of Botanicula:
http://www.rockpaper...-i-think-botanicula/

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Just had a play of Botanicula.

Very pretty and quirky but I am really not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Seems to be purely mouse point and click but there are no instructions or explanation as to what you are supposed to be doing ??? Puzzled.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:45 AM »
-Carol Haynes (April 20, 2012, 08:43 AM)
You just defined my entire life!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:39 AM »
-Carol Haynes (April 20, 2012, 08:43 AM)
You just defined my entire life!
-cranioscopical (April 20, 2012, 09:45 AM)

pretty boy, huh? :P
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
GOG.com gift to Botanicula owners
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:49 PM »
GOG.com's gift to Botanicula owners who pre-ordered the game.

http://www.gog.com/n...to_botanicula_owners

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 02:14 PM »
it was a pretty mean trick they played on gog.com there, to be honest... dont undercut the people who support you early, at least not without some notice...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 04:05 PM »
^ This. +1

And Gog's response was, as usual, very good.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Bought the bundle.

Played a bit of Botanicula: it seems much more like Samrost than Machinarium - gorgeous, delighful, confusing, whimsical, and at times hilarious.

Watched Kooky: Overall it is a little disappointing - the story is pretty weak and the acting not great, BUT what ambition! The puppetry, art-design, miniature sets, and integrated wildlife are all quite astounding! I had to find a 'making of' to discover how they managed such technically complex setups.

Machinarium: I already own - it is wonderful.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 04:44 PM »
Watched Kooky: Overall it is a little disappointing - the story is pretty weak and the acting not great

That's probably because it isn't the original actors - the original film has be redubbed into English.

If you check out their website you will find the trailer to the film which is voiced over by Jeremy Irons!

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22 PM »
Although I am not sure why people were so outraged, it happens to me all the time that a bundle comes out that offers a game cheaper than I bought it, and before I have played it. Especially on games I preordered out of curiosity or a desire to support the devs, without thinking of when they will come out and whether I'll have time to play.

I feel silly but I feel it is a normal thing that happens

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Botanicular bundle now has a bonus pack added:

All Humble Botanicula Debut customers can now download a behind-the-scenes Botanicula art book & map collection, a pack of behind-the-scenes photographs & concept art for the feature film Kooky, the experimental interactive music project Osada, and bonus albums from both Floex and DVA, the musicians behind some of Amanita Design's most evocative soundtracks.

If you pay more than the average price, you now have the additional option of streaming the film Kooky from Redux! Due to popular demand, we've also posted an extra high-quality version of the film. Check out your download page for details.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Although I am not sure why people were so outraged, it happens to me all the time that a bundle comes out that offers a game cheaper than I bought it, and before I have played it. Especially on games I preordered out of curiosity or a desire to support the devs, without thinking of when they will come out and whether I'll have time to play.

I feel silly but I feel it is a normal thing that happens

I think the difference is that this occurred on launch day. People who pre-ordered had a reasonable assumption that anybody who bought the game on launch day would pay the same price.

If I buy something for $20 but then don't play and six month later it's on sale for $5 then that's my fault and to be expected. But if I pre-order a product for $20 and found out that others who didn't pre-order got it (or could get it) for $0.01 with MORE goodies than my $20 pre-order, on launch day, I'd definitely be upset.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 05:00 PM »
I think the difference is that this occurred on launch day. People who pre-ordered had a reasonable assumption that anybody who bought the game on launch day would pay the same price.

If I buy something for $20 but then don't play and six month later it's on sale for $5 then that's my fault and to be expected. But if I pre-order a product for $20 and found out that others who didn't pre-order got it (or could get it) for $0.01 with MORE goodies than my $20 pre-order, on launch day, I'd definitely be upset.

Anyone who'd do a 0.01c thing is a creep! making people make a loss on the transactions.

And you still now get a lot more in the bundle than in the gog preorder, since the art and soundtrack are also in. And I agree it was crummy of the devs to do that, i suspect gog.com might not do preorders of new indie stuff again in a hurry.

Pricewise though it does happen quite regularly when you preorder - not to the bundle extreme like this but it does happen that another site does a better deal at or before launch than the one you paid. Or within the week. On indie stuff, Steam is often behind, launching a week or two later, but for less.

That's why I never preorder anything mainstream or indie unless I want to specifically support the site or the dev - then even if it happens that Steam launches it 2 weeks later at 50% of the price, I dont feel cheated. Which is what I thought I was doing with the botanicula thing. Well those devs won't get my money again even if they do the best game ever.

On the other hand I've got quite a few games (20+) I did preorder or buy from the dev at higher price because I wanted to support them. No regrets even if, in some cases, the game in the end didnt tick with me - or if it ends up in a bundle... I just preordered Age of Decadence and Xenonauts recently (and kickstarter for 2 other games too)... And I will preorder soldak's next game Drox Operative as soon as it is orderable, just because, I will also preorder mega-mainstream Guild Wars 2 because GW gave me so much as a game.. and if there's ever a Dominions 4 or a Creeper World 4 etc.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 05:15 PM »
GOG did give The Witcher 2 Enchanced Edition to all Botanicula pre-orders, but it doesn't look a good match to me. A lot of people who would love the game they ordered are unlikely to want Witcher 2!