ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Script to sort your Gmail messages by size using Google docs

<< < (4/7) > >>

tomos:
I've been trying out this script. It gets to about 235 entries on the spreadsheet and then it stopped finding anything else.
-TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

is it that it keeps stopping?
- you have to restart it. Iain says above somewhere how he worked around it, but I didnt get that far myself...

EDIT/ mind you if you deleted 235 entries with an average of 10MB (??) you'd have a nice bit of space.

TaoPhoenix:
At one point it quit finding new messages at all. And 90% of the ones it did had only 1.3 megs. And "No, 235 * 1.3 megs is still piddly."

I send scanned contracts all the time, they're always 10 megs, doesn't mean I want to delete that email.

Heh my work email box is 25 gigs at 96% full.  : )

tomos:
At one point it quit finding new messages at all. And 90% of the ones it did had only 1.3 megs. And "No, 235 * 1.3 megs is still piddly."

I send scanned contracts all the time, they're always 10 megs, doesn't mean I want to delete that email.

Heh my work email box is 25 gigs at 96% full.  : )
-TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you download all to an email client, and make a backup, couldnt you then start deleting the oldest mails?
(mind you that was my idea using mailstore but I think I have to make a second attempt there)

IainB:
I've been trying out this script. It gets to about 235 entries on the spreadsheet and then it stopped finding anything else.
-TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
is it that it keeps stopping?
- you have to restart it. Iain says above somewhere how he worked around it, but I didnt get that far myself...
-tomos (May 04, 2012, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Set the script to auto-trigger at 5 or 10 minute intervals (per thread above) and check the Gdocs spreadsheet the next day - that's what I did. You don't even have to have the spreadsheet open that way. All automated.    :Thmbsup:
-IainB (April 26, 2012, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

To automate the script trigger:
* 1. Go to the article: Sort your Gmail Messages by Size using Google Docs
* 2. Go to the part with the subtitle: Scan Gmail Messages with a trigger
* 3. To enable the trigger, follow the steps detailed there. (You can't "break" anything, so treat it as an experiment.)
* 4. Leave the script running for a while (say) overnight. You don't have to be online for it to run.
* 5. Check it to see your updated list of large emails.
* 6. Disable the trigger, otherwise it will keep triggering the script forever.

TaoPhoenix:
I can delete them as is, I'd miss the searchability. I wish there was an app for "download all the attachments, print the email text itself to a PDF, throw all that into a folder".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version