ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Error message when i restart my pc

<< < (2/3) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Quickly googling the message you posted, I found the following:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/8-prog-not-found-skipping-autocheck/189754.html

This error can come due to malicious entries in autocheck registry value.
To fix this you can follow below steps :
1) Open Registry editor by opening "regedit" from run box.
2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager , You will see a vaule name :BootExecute.
3) By default it should have below value. remove any extra values and hit OK.

autocheck autochk *

4) Reboot your computer to test, It should work now.
--- End quote ---

I honestly have no idea if this will do it, but the OP on that question replied that it did...worth a try I guess...Probably not a bad idea to do a virus scan anyway.

kunkel321:
Also, if your pc came with a recovery cd (i.e. the copy of Windows) you can try running that and see if there is an option to "repair windows."   Be careful though... Sometimes there's not, and it just "reinstalls" Windows, thus erasing all your settings and stuff. 

Curt:
<-much too drastic solutions, I think.

Re-install Diskeeper Lite, and uncheck all settings before removing again.

mouser:
I agree that you should not run any repair windows or severe fixit tools for something like this.  The suggestion to look at autoruns and programs configured to run at boot time is your best bet i think.  Look for a line that is trying to run diskeeper on windows bootup even though you've uninstalled it.

hpearce:
I agree with trying AUTORUNS first .... it will show all startups including devices and boot startup .

Those not found on your system are highlighted.

Was there a startup program that ran ?  Could belocated in the MBR.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version