ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Include Windows 7 Start Button Search Results in FARR?

(1/5) > >>

David.P:
Hi mouser & forum,

is it possible for FARR to include the results of the Windows 7 Start Button/Start Menu search? (at least the ones that are in some way Windows/Control Panel related)

For example, if I start to type "Window M....." into the Start Button search box, Windows 7 gives me "change window colors and metrics" (which accidentally is exactly what I was looking for;)

So, can FARR do this as well? -- in order for not having to use FARR and the Start Button search box if looking for things where you are not sure if it might be a program, setting, control panel or whatever.

Thanks already
Cheers David.P

mouser:
I really like this idea a lot.. Question is how easy would it be to grab those items automatically.. I wonder if anyone has looked into whether these entries are stored somewhere accessible?

Ath:
Wouldn't that be achieved by adding the All Users 'C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu' and Current User 'C:\Users\[Ath]\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu' (ofc by using the proper variables, that I didn't investigate) into the Search Folders configuration?

David.P:
Mouser, I'm not sure where these entries actually are stored.

A first step however could be the behaviour of the Win7 god mode. If you install God Mode:
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-10423985-285/understanding-windows-7s-godmode/  

...and then open it in Windows Explorer, when typing something into the Explorer window's search field (top right), what you get in the Explorer window are the same results as if you had typed your search into the Start Menu search.

Interestingly, the God-Mode Explorer Window also reveals the search keywords for every entry like in below screenshot:

Note that there even are lots and lots of misspelled keywords -- in order for people to find for example "Bildschirmschoner" (screen saver) when they wrongly type "Bidschirm". (FARR of course is much more intelligent in this respect, as it doesn't need "lists of misspellings").

Unfortunately, for example the (misspelled) entry "Bidschirm" is not to be found in the Registry, neither via full text search in the entire system partition....

Some but not all of the search strings seem to be contained in a file called "access.h1s" in the C:\Windows\Help\Windows\[language] folder.

That's all I could find out for the moment...

Regards
David

--
PS: This might be of interest as well:
The Control Panel search results understand common misspellings

daddydave:
Off-topic but FWIW, I personally have copied the God Mouser mode shortcuts to the FindAndRunRobot\Scripts\Control Panel (cpanel) folder, so I can get those.

Thus:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version