ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

2G Quad Band in a 3G/4G World

(1/1)

daddydave:
Obviously not every country has 3G, but how far are we on the way toward a 3G/4G equivalent of 2G quad band? Are we there yet?

I've noticed that T-Mobile USA's 3G bands (UMTS (W-CDMA)/HSPA) operate using both 1700 and 2100 Mhz frequencies (at the same time) and India also uses 2100 Mhz for its 3G, so that seems to be a happy coincidence for those who travel between both countries.

Other countries also use the UMTS 2100 band, I see. So it may be a matter of picking your countries from the start and not aiming for universal 3G.

Otherwise I am not seeing much of a movement toward a universal 3G/4G phone, but maybe I am misunderstanding things and will appreciate any insights.

4wd:
Another map here: GSM Bands information by country

daddydave:
I've noticed that T-Mobile USA's 3G bands (UMTS (W-CDMA)/HSPDA) operate using both 1700 and 2100 Mhz frequencies (at the same time) and India also uses 2100 Mhz for its 3G, so that seems to be a happy coincidence for those who travel between both countries.
-daddydave (September 02, 2012, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently T-Mobile will be using 1700 and 2100 Mhz for LTE and move UMTS over to 1900 Mhz in the near future (source: Fierce Wireless). Would existing T-Mobile UMTS phones start supporting LTE at that point? I know jack about the technology, but  I know different phones support different speeds of UMTS/HSPDA+, so it seems too much to ask.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version