Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 22, 2014, 08:11:23 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2G Quad Band in a 3G/4G World  (Read 1196 times)
daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »

Obviously not every country has 3G, but how far are we on the way toward a 3G/4G equivalent of 2G quad band? Are we there yet?

I've noticed that T-Mobile USA's 3G bands (UMTS (W-CDMA)/HSPA) operate using both 1700 and 2100 Mhz frequencies (at the same time) and India also uses 2100 Mhz for its 3G, so that seems to be a happy coincidence for those who travel between both countries.

Other countries also use the UMTS 2100 band, I see. So it may be a matter of picking your countries from the start and not aiming for universal 3G.

Otherwise I am not seeing much of a movement toward a universal 3G/4G phone, but maybe I am misunderstanding things and will appreciate any insights.
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:50:13 PM »

Another map here: GSM Bands information by country

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »

I've noticed that T-Mobile USA's 3G bands (UMTS (W-CDMA)/HSPDA) operate using both 1700 and 2100 Mhz frequencies (at the same time) and India also uses 2100 Mhz for its 3G, so that seems to be a happy coincidence for those who travel between both countries.

Apparently T-Mobile will be using 1700 and 2100 Mhz for LTE and move UMTS over to 1900 Mhz in the near future (source: Fierce Wireless). Would existing T-Mobile UMTS phones start supporting LTE at that point? I know jack about the technology, but  I know different phones support different speeds of UMTS/HSPDA+, so it seems too much to ask.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.031s | Server load: 0.02 ]