ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts in remembrance of the 6 million (est.) murdered in the Holocaust

<< < (4/7) > >>

Renegade:
Would it be wrong for me to suggest this thread started off as being borderline appropriate for DC and is only becoming more so..   It's not that these discussions aren't valuable to have, just a question of whether they are most appropriate for this forum..  Of course there is great latitude for going off topic in the Living room section, but still..
-mouser (April 19, 2012, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Not censorship per-say, but focus.  If this isn't a place to discuss religion and politics, then that's just not the focus, and calling that censorship is IMO cheapening the effect of the word when used if not an outright misuse of the word.  There's a big difference between having a set of rules so that people that come to the site know what to expect and censoring posts.
-wraith808 (April 19, 2012, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

A couple days ago I emailed mouser about the frequency of posts I have been making on the topic of technology and censorship. The amount of it out there is alarming, and I probably post less than a tenth of what I'd like to, but, still, it's getting to the point that it's now over the top and the focus here is DC software and other software/technology topics.

I'll be scaling back as the volume has simply gotten too high. It's not that I'm "censoring" myself, but rather that it's detracting from the primary purpose of the forums here.

Incidentally, and somewhat on topic, I view censorship like we are seeing now simply as one step towards democide. I know that I'm far from alone in that view.

Regarding the suggestion:

How about members only section, so that politics, history, religion threads don't show up in DC public feed?
-mahesh2k (April 19, 2012, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like that idea. :) The ASP has a newsgroup called "Soapbox" where the Sargent at Arms rarely steps in. It's basically a free-for-all, but topics are overwhelmingly politics and religion. People disagree about things, but it's mostly civil, or as civil as the ASP gets anyways. (Much more flaming there than in here, that's for certain - but that's not limited to soapbox -- most sites have a massive amount of flaming going on compared to DC.) "Soapbox" is basically a place to vent.

wraith808:
Not censorship per-say, but focus.
-wraith808 (April 19, 2012, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, right.
Bet I can I can think of more euphemisms for it than you!    ;)
-IainB (April 19, 2012, 08:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, for I surely don't look at that as a euphemism- they're two totally different things.  I run a rpg board, and if you came in discussing programming that would be off topic.  Is that censorship?  No.  It's just off topic.  And if this is declared off-topic, then that's ok too.  I know that several people that used to post have fallen by the wayside because they came to DC for talk about coding and software, and kept getting hit in the face with the religion and politics because they came here for a break from that.  I know at times its been overwhelming for me, because there are such a wide range of opinions and stances on the boards, and to discuss such hotbed topics can make it hard to deal with at times.

IainB:
Well, before this thread goes away, I'd just like to add my condolences, sorrow, and prayer in remembrance of the six million who were killed in the Holocaust. I didn't realize that there was such a period of remembrance every year. But I do now. It was a terrible time that thankfully ended when it did.
Jim
-J-Mac (April 19, 2012, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
You have a good heart and have seen the salient point about this Holocaust Remembrance Day - condolences, sorrow, and prayer. I add to that in my mind the hope that we will never allow such a thing to happen again. "Lest we forget", as is said on that other Remembrance Day (Poppy Day) in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.

I knew the Holocaust was remembered in lots of ways (e.g., Holocaust museums, films, books and related media) but I did not previously know that a remembrance day was set as an annual fixture - dates and time.
Nor did I know about the 2-minute silence whilst the sirens sounded in Tel Aviv.

TaoPhoenix:
And somewhere in these last four or so posts comes the "diamond tip" of the problem. I like to view things on an slider scale. Per Renegade, if he thinks he's become too loud on those issues, and wants to slow down a little, then great! Per Wraith Part1, presuming that enough of the social discussions are indeed in Living Room, then someone who just wants to talk about software ... shouldn't be looking at the Living Room. They should ... wait for it ... Focus on the other *twelve* sections! Or, if they *still* want to go to the Living Room but yet not see these hot topics, then there's that subdivision thing, they shouldn't go the Soapbox Nook. "Don't go to the Soapbox Room and then complain that people are talking politics!"

We trust Mouser overall, but that Focus theme is sadly the legendary wedge used by other forces with agendas to begin censorship plans. "Let's keep Focus, let's keep it Family Friendly, let's keep it Pleasant." The best answer in my view is to make the wide-topic area less visible if we like, such as not in the public feed, or even on the "recent posts" down at the bottom, but still freely available.

tomos:

mouser has always said that he feels that dc is not the right place for political and religious subjects. He's often ignored, but that wish does keep most of those discussions in check, which is helpful imo. I dont consider that censorship.
I've never seen a post censored here in the sense of removed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version