ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

web dir in excel

<< < (4/4)

kalos:
thanks for your input
I will use the tools you mention
I have realized that EXCEL is not the best solution to store files in
trying to store a large amount of potentially big files, will make it irresponsive and prone to corruption and data loss
creating a "local webpage", is an interesting idea, but would require more programming skills
I think I will go that way and see what I can do :/

EDIT: if only EXCEL had a function to download the web link of a file in a cell to a predefined folder and then store the hyperlink of that file to the next right cell, it would be sufficient

Target:
thanks for your input
I will use the tools you mention
I have realized that EXCEL is not the best solution to store files in
trying to store a large amount of potentially big files, will make it irresponsive and prone to corruption and data loss
creating a "local webpage", is an interesting idea, but would require more programming skills
I think I will go that way and see what I can do :/

EDIT: if only EXCEL had a function to download the web link of a file in a cell to a predefined folder and then store the hyperlink of that file to the next right cell, it would be sufficient
-kalos (May 09, 2012, 03:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm still playing around with options, but FWIW I believe you can do what you want with excel, but it probably isn't a very efficient way to do things. 

Reading your response again I'm wondering whether you were thinking of embedding the downloaded files in your spreadsheet?  This is NOT a good idea and could easily result in the consequences you mention.  Inserting hyperlinks to a local copy on the other hand is quite safe and easy to do.  Still not very efficient though (Excel is not meant to be used as a launcher)

The local webpage option may not require any coding skills at all - there are plenty of apps that will spider a page/site and duplicate that on your machine, complete with local references to linked files.  Based on my experience so far, WinHTTrack may not be ideal (it was just too slow), but I'll have a look and see what else I can find (anyone got any suggestions?)

AndyM:
If you really are stuck with doing this in Excel, I'm pretty sure everything you need done can be done with VBA.  But it would be crazy to learn VBA just to do this.

You could try asking over at VBAExpress in the Excel forum.

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

There are many helpful people there, usually helping people with their code as opposed to writing snacks for people.  But it can't hurt to ask.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version