topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Relics from a Different Time - as opposed to the new Big Brother Lockdown  (Read 3983 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's not our imagination; or at least mine. Things WERE easier in the past.

Here's the movie Convoy which runs an entire plot line that 50 truckers could demolish the cops in 4 states and almost make it work. Today, that would call 75 DHS vehicles to declare them felons.

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=related

Top Ten product placement for Mack Trucks, Inc. though! :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This flick had an interesting premise before it was gutted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/

The orator goes into statistics about how many cops the NYPD could keep on the streets in the gang's territories and how the gangsters had them outnumbered 20 to 1, or whatever the stat was.

Then he detailed a plan where the gangs cooperate to take over the whole city.  But naturally, the guy is shot and the movie immediately transmogrifies into a chase flick.  Interesting premise totally flushed.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vaguely I hear that happens a lot to shut down subversive ideas in movies. Aka turn them into false Straw Man objects of ridicule.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In the case of The Warriors I suspect the original premise sounded exciting. Got producers interested.  They started filming. Then somebody got a look at the rushes for the Rally Scene. Slam the breaks on that scenario!! :)

( I don't know why they are so paranoid. Just have the gangsters get the upper hand in the beginning, then the National Guard wipes 'em out. )

But that's just my conjecture. I haven't read it in any Hollywood histories or anything.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Vaguely I hear that happens a lot to shut down subversive ideas in movies. Aka turn them into false Straw Man objects of ridicule.

Reminds me of "Law Abiding Citizen".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1197624/

It was good until the end when it totally chokes and the good guy loses. (I can't stand the self-righteous blatherings/sermons in movies/TV shows that you get in shows like this.) 

This scene was great (NSFW):

Great movie. Horrible ending.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Heh - Paradox deected: Everyone's favorite nice guy, Colm Meaney detected!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It was good until the end when it totally chokes and the good guy loses.

Seems like this trend started with the original Night of the Living Dead.

I hated that flick. I saw it at the drive-in. Just as the cute chick and her boyfriend are about to escape, Whammo!!  Same scenario repeated throughout the flick.

It didn't help that I just bought a giant container of French Fries with tons of ketchup. Wasted a few bucks there! :)