ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > DonationCoder.com Newsletters

Congratulations on meeting (or nearly meeting) your fund raising goal

<< < (5/7) > >>

mouser:
I don't have a chart, but for the curious, there have been a total of 363 donations to the fundraiser.
That puts the average donation at a littler under $20.
Highest donation was $200, lowest was 1 penny.

I think the story/lesson of DC is what it's always been -- it's in the eye of the beholder.

If you think about the millions of downloads of the software every year, or the kickstarter or indiebundle things we read about, then 363 people choosing to donate during a two-week fundraiser may not look that great.

But on the other hand if you think of it in the context of software actually being supported by voluntary donations from the user base, i think we can hold our heads high and be proud -- it's a very rare thing to get any donations at all.  It's a nice feeling to be appreciated and supported but most of all it's just wonderful to be around people who are interesting and inspiring and fun.  I think there is a lot to be said for staying small and personal, and that's how we like it.

TaoPhoenix:

Heh was the 1 penny a reference to that "destroy DC with penny donations" thread a while back? : )

TaoPhoenix:

Plus we got to talk about ... (Truman Show Closeup)

*Giving DonationCoder.com More Money! Because it makes better global citizens for us all!*  :D

After all, the donation bar stands at $6,739! Only $261 lonely dollars to finish it off! But hurry! The fundraiser ends tomorrow? Won't someone Think Of The Coders?"

-TaoPhoenix (April 14, 2012, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

And someone did! The bar is at $6,762 now! The big bashful eyes of Cody are working!

db90h:
Mouser, I think you are underestimating your own success. Sure, if you compare yourself to a company that has actual employees, you aren't generating much revenue... but you aren't a company with employees. Therefore, DonationCoder is extremely successful. That is why I was curious as to the mechanism behind this. I do suspect that there are a substantial number of repeat donators - a revenue generation user base, if you will. Yes, I know, you don't like words like 'revenue'.. but that's what it is.

So, I'd say in the eyes of any beholder it is a success, given what it is, and the resources through which it is run. EDIT: Well, that's pretty much what you said I guess ;)

TaoPhoenix:
Here we go! (Launches into a thundering parody of Ray Stevens Shriner's Convention!)

Weeeeeel, the countdown on the last day of the fundraiser roars on! Money is flowing, goodwill is spilling, and Cody works the crowd! Donations are churning from the crowd, and then Cody flies out for a mile! It's a unique global phenomenon where all the members have a fine ol' time!

It's the 7th annual convention of the grand mystic congregation of the Coders of our time!

Well it was all arranged by the Mousy Mastermind, and the new CMS will make the local hearts swell with pride! And when the hearts swell, the bar swells from $6,762 to $6,767, with more to come!

It's the 7th annual convention of the grand mystic congregation of the Coders of our time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version