Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 12:42:11 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: detect color in pdf  (Read 2097 times)
kalos

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 06, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »

hello!

is it possible to detect if a pdf file has any non-black color? ie. it is not black and white?

thanks!
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »

congratulations on your membership :-)
Sorry to hear you are colour blind :-(

kalos

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »

anyone??
x16wda
Supporting Member

what am I doing in this handbasket?

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »

what about grayscale, would that count?

vi vi vi - editor of the beast
kalos

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »

what about grayscale, would that count?

I want to distinguish pdfs that contain black characters, lines, table borders, etc, from those containing any grayscale or other color apart from black and white
x16wda
Supporting Member

what am I doing in this handbasket?

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »

OK, next question, what is the framework?  Do you want a batch utility to do this and return a result you can check, or documentation on what to look for to incorporate into a routine you are writing, or ??

vi vi vi - editor of the beast
kalos

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

yes, a utility or any other way to inform me that the pdf is only black and white
it would be best not to have to open the pdf (since it will be a batch process and it must be fast and quiet)
also checking the colors of its pixels, may not be accurate enough
kalos

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:27:41 AM »

anyone?
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:09:02 AM »

I'm curious why you need this kalos.

Related:
A few years back I sent a PDF for publication, it was vector "line-art" (black only) with "Black" text - it should have been treated as a one colour (Black) print, but for some reason the file insisted on been treated as full colour at their end (or maybe it was their layout software that insisted on treating it so). I dont really have much experience in this field, and the person I was dealing with at the publishers didnt really seem to be much of an expert either. We narrowed it down to the text, but couldnt figure out why it was so (as said, it was simply black text). To be honest I cant remember what exactly our solution was, we converted the file to "greyscale"/Black in some manner.

So, anyways, just curious smiley
Also, if there is a solution, I'll certainly have a go at checking some PDFs... out of cusiousity :p

Tom
kalos

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »

One purpose would be my request long time ago, to send colored pages to color printer and the black ones to b/w printer

But, moreover, now, and I have a program that outputs pdfs, and and if it has a colored element, and it means that it belongs to a certain category and must be treated specifically

For automation purposes in brief.. smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0 ]