ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In search of ... opinions on initial PC software loadings

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ath:
The PHP/Apache/MySQL set you need for development work? If not, then I wouldn't install as it would only eat resources and exhaust the battery early.

Giampy:
What would be the first thing(s) you load on a new system?
-barney (April 12, 2012, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not fully pertinent to your question, but the first thing I install is a second hard disk, so everytime I turn on my PC I get an automatic backup of the data from C: to the second hard disk.

With regard to software, the first thing I install is EruNT to copy the registry and to restore it if needed.

barney:
The PHP/Apache/MySQL set you need for development work? If not, then I wouldn't install as it would only eat resources and exhaust the battery early.
-Ath (April 13, 2012, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
Basically, that's what I do.  Not that great at PHP, but I can over engineer a database like nobody's business  :P.
Since I retired, I donate a lot of my time.  Funny, but I feel more obligated than ever I did when I was getting paid for it  :-\ :-* :P.It's not fully pertinent to your question, but the first thing I install is a second hard disk, so everytime I turn on my PC I get an automatic backup of the data from C: to the second hard disk.
-Giampy (April 13, 2012, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually very relevant, but not practicable for most laptops.  However, I use a Fantom 2TB USB drive for each of the two (2) primary boxes for just that same purpose.  I may lose a system, but I won't lose data  :P.

I've been out of contact for a couple of days - don't you just hate when life interferes with what's really important? - and I'm now in search of a software KVM.  Gonna try Synergy+ again - maybe it'll work for me this time.  I have MaxiVista, but it is totally unsatisfactory.  Input Director kinda,sorta works, but it does have its foibles, not the least of which is that it tends to isolate the cursor on a slave, disallowing return to the master system.

I have yet to install the new box, but probably will start tomorrow.  Some fodder for thought in this topic so far, and I've changed a couple of priorities, as well as some software.

Thanks to all  :Thmbsup:.

barney:
Well ... I kinda,sorta started :-\.  I had forgotten how much crap proprietary software Toshiba includes.  Spent much of my time researching what I can discard  ;D.

Installed Revo Uninstaller and Comodo Program Manager first of all.  (I'm OCD on tracking installs :P.)  Then started on a few other necessities.  Wouldn't you know it, there's an immediate problem  :(.  Every time I reboot the Satellite, I have to reset the router!  Haven't found a way around that one yet.

I'm also about to run into another problem, but it's posted in this topic.  It has to do with data replication and combination.

x16wda:
I had forgotten how much crap proprietary software Toshiba includes.  Spent much of my time researching what I can discard
-barney (April 16, 2012, 08:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

So... since you've done the research, which of the Toshiba "value added items" did you do away with?  I still need to do some decrapifying on mine...  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version