topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... opinions on initial PC software loadings  (Read 5801 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What would be the first thing(s) you load on a new system?

Just got a new laptop, a Toshiba Satellite, Intel i7 CPU, Nvidia GT540M GPU, 6G RAM, ~700G HD.  While I need to get it active, I'm not in a time crunch - an unusual situation for me  ;D.

Since time is not hypercritical this time around, I intend to plan my initial installs.  That got me to wondering what others consider essential for system initialization.  (I will disable UAC.  Single user, allegedly knowledgeable, I just don't feel a need for it, although I could be persuaded otherwise.)  I'll partition the drive, make ~200-250 G C:\ for the OS, the rest for an E:\ data drive.

My initial load will be
  • Comodo & Revo install trackers
  • CintaNotes (for quick tagable notes)
  • PHP
  • MySQL
  • Apache
  • Microsoft Security Essentials
  • Comodo firewall (maybe, haven't decided yet  :-\)
  • Libre Office (don't use it much, but need to have it handy)
  • Karen Kenworthy's Directory Printer  :up:
  • Swift To-Do List
  • All My Notes (mostly for some history notes and for avoidance of past foibles)
  • Syncless
  • RollBackRX (adjunct to system restore points

Other stuff will come to mind, but that's my initial list.  I haven't decided whether to install imaging/backup software, since recent experience has show. me a certain futility in that venue.  I'm also uncertain as to graphics software:  needs to be something vector capable.

As mentioned, though, I'm curious what you would consider an initial load?  Maybe you can cure me of some bad habits  :tellme:?

Edit
Meant to ask what you use for a software kvm.  I was not particularly happy with MaxiVista, had a bit of trouble getting Synergy+ to work, so I've been using Input Director - it works, kinda, sorta.  Maybe I need to go back and hammer on Synergy+?  Or is there something else out there that I've just not seen?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:14 PM by barney »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... opinions on initial PC software loadings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Certainly MSE, and I need actual MS Office rather than Libre.  Let's see what else - I'll look at my installers folder alphabetically...

7-zip (although i am also trying out haozip)
asap utilities
autoit
axcrypt
bleachbit
cisco vpn client
cmd-open-install (a better command-prompt-here alternative)
my "copy-into-winnt" folder - a bunch of no-install-needed single-exe-file utilities I use constantly
display fusion
dolphin text editor menu
dvdfab
elevation powertoys
fastcopy
filemenutools
freefilesync
inssider
imgburn
magicdisk
lastpass
listary
mailstore (just started trying this)
noise ninja (for photoshop)
notepad2
paragon hdm suite pro
pdfcreator
photoshop
puretext
qimage
riot
screenshot captor
send to toys
spamihilator
spflite editor (awesome especially if you did any ibm mvs/jes work!)
sumatra
supercopier
t-clock
windirstat
winpatrol
wireshark
xplorer2

plus odds & ends as needed :-)
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:49 PM »
A clipboard manager program of your choice always seems essential to me.
And a ScreenshotCaptor program. Mouser's is my choice there.
'Everything' search program.
Ccleaner, I have session always checked for when FF crashes.
Helps for a clean start without trouble with the same pages.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:07 PM »
A full drive imaging software for backups.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:39 PM »
A full drive imaging software for backups.
Just went through that with the Dell.  Total [True Image] failure.  I'll go for backups, as such, but unless I can get CloneZilla to work - and I may have time to try that this time around - I'm soured on imaging.

'Everything' search program.
I've been using Identify Your Files [iyf-x], which has performed well on all but one (1) machine.  Have Everything loaded on a different box, but not really happy with it.  I tend to use File Search Pro (Agent Ransack, and I wish they'd kept the name  ;).)

my "copy-into-winnt" folder - a bunch of no-install-needed single-exe-file utilities I use constantly
My standalone folder is util, but same thing - and has some of the handiest utils on my systems.

WinPatrol Pro should have been on the list, but I forgot it.  Clipboard Help & Spell and Screenshot Captor will be there, but not necessary on initialization.  I'll also add the video diary, since I'll have a bit more room/RAM.  For passwords, I'm using RoboHelp Portable - prolly last time I'll upgrade it, so LastPass or KeyPass will be checked for viability (and portability).

I added an edit to the original - kvm software.  I've had varied results, so looking for something [possibly] better.

Mind you, the original list is not a complete loading, just the necessaries to get up and running.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:38 AM »
The PHP/Apache/MySQL set you need for development work? If not, then I wouldn't install as it would only eat resources and exhaust the battery early.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:51 AM »
What would be the first thing(s) you load on a new system?

It's not fully pertinent to your question, but the first thing I install is a second hard disk, so everytime I turn on my PC I get an automatic backup of the data from C: to the second hard disk.

With regard to software, the first thing I install is EruNT to copy the registry and to restore it if needed.
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:36 PM »
The PHP/Apache/MySQL set you need for development work? If not, then I wouldn't install as it would only eat resources and exhaust the battery early.
Basically, that's what I do.  Not that great at PHP, but I can over engineer a database like nobody's business  :P.
Since I retired, I donate a lot of my time.  Funny, but I feel more obligated than ever I did when I was getting paid for it  :-\ :-* :P.
It's not fully pertinent to your question, but the first thing I install is a second hard disk, so everytime I turn on my PC I get an automatic backup of the data from C: to the second hard disk.

Actually very relevant, but not practicable for most laptops.  However, I use a Fantom 2TB USB drive for each of the two (2) primary boxes for just that same purpose.  I may lose a system, but I won't lose data  :P.

I've been out of contact for a couple of days - don't you just hate when life interferes with what's really important? - and I'm now in search of a software KVM.  Gonna try Synergy+ again - maybe it'll work for me this time.  I have MaxiVista, but it is totally unsatisfactory.  Input Director kinda,sorta works, but it does have its foibles, not the least of which is that it tends to isolate the cursor on a slave, disallowing return to the master system.

I have yet to install the new box, but probably will start tomorrow.  Some fodder for thought in this topic so far, and I've changed a couple of priorities, as well as some software.

Thanks to all  :Thmbsup:.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Well ... I kinda,sorta started :-\.  I had forgotten how much crap proprietary software Toshiba includes.  Spent much of my time researching what I can discard  ;D.

Installed Revo Uninstaller and Comodo Program Manager first of all.  (I'm OCD on tracking installs :P.)  Then started on a few other necessities.  Wouldn't you know it, there's an immediate problem  :(Every time I reboot the Satellite, I have to reset the router!  Haven't found a way around that one yet.

I'm also about to run into another problem, but it's posted in this topic.  It has to do with data replication and combination.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I had forgotten how much crap proprietary software Toshiba includes.  Spent much of my time researching what I can discard

So... since you've done the research, which of the Toshiba "value added items" did you do away with?  I still need to do some decrapifying on mine...  ;D
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:34 PM »
So... since you've done the research, which of the Toshiba "value added items" did you do away with?  I still need to do some decrapifying on mine...  ;D
Not ready to answer that one (1), yet :(.  Still haven't done the dirty with it/them.  But I'll post when I get through, prolly sometime tomorrow  :-\.  Life keeps getting in the way of important stuff I need to do  :mad: :P!