ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In search of ... opinions on initial PC software loadings

(1/3) > >>

barney:
What would be the first thing(s) you load on a new system?

Just got a new laptop, a Toshiba Satellite, Intel i7 CPU, Nvidia GT540M GPU, 6G RAM, ~700G HD.  While I need to get it active, I'm not in a time crunch - an unusual situation for me  ;D.

Since time is not hypercritical this time around, I intend to plan my initial installs.  That got me to wondering what others consider essential for system initialization.  (I will disable UAC.  Single user, allegedly knowledgeable, I just don't feel a need for it, although I could be persuaded otherwise.)  I'll partition the drive, make ~200-250 G C:\ for the OS, the rest for an E:\ data drive.

My initial load will be

* Comodo & Revo install trackers
* CintaNotes (for quick tagable notes)
* PHP
* MySQL
* Apache
* Microsoft Security Essentials
* Comodo firewall (maybe, haven't decided yet  :-\)
* Libre Office (don't use it much, but need to have it handy)
* Karen Kenworthy's Directory Printer  :up:
* Swift To-Do List
* All My Notes (mostly for some history notes and for avoidance of past foibles)
* Syncless
* RollBackRX (adjunct to system restore points
Other stuff will come to mind, but that's my initial list.  I haven't decided whether to install imaging/backup software, since recent experience has show. me a certain futility in that venue.  I'm also uncertain as to graphics software:  needs to be something vector capable.

As mentioned, though, I'm curious what you would consider an initial load?  Maybe you can cure me of some bad habits  :tellme:?

Edit
Meant to ask what you use for a software kvm.  I was not particularly happy with MaxiVista, had a bit of trouble getting Synergy+ to work, so I've been using Input Director - it works, kinda, sorta.  Maybe I need to go back and hammer on Synergy+?  Or is there something else out there that I've just not seen?

x16wda:
Certainly MSE, and I need actual MS Office rather than Libre.  Let's see what else - I'll look at my installers folder alphabetically...

7-zip (although i am also trying out haozip)
asap utilities
autoit
axcrypt
bleachbit
cisco vpn client
cmd-open-install (a better command-prompt-here alternative)
my "copy-into-winnt" folder - a bunch of no-install-needed single-exe-file utilities I use constantly
display fusion
dolphin text editor menu
dvdfab
elevation powertoys
fastcopy
filemenutools
freefilesync
inssider
imgburn
magicdisk
lastpass
listary
mailstore (just started trying this)
noise ninja (for photoshop)
notepad2
paragon hdm suite pro
pdfcreator
photoshop
puretext
qimage
riot
screenshot captor
send to toys
spamihilator
spflite editor (awesome especially if you did any ibm mvs/jes work!)
sumatra
supercopier
t-clock
windirstat
winpatrol
wireshark
xplorer2

plus odds & ends as needed :-)

cmpm:
A clipboard manager program of your choice always seems essential to me.
And a ScreenshotCaptor program. Mouser's is my choice there.
'Everything' search program.
Ccleaner, I have session always checked for when FF crashes.
Helps for a clean start without trouble with the same pages.

mouser:
A full drive imaging software for backups.

barney:
A full drive imaging software for backups.
-mouser (April 12, 2012, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just went through that with the Dell.  Total [True Image] failure.  I'll go for backups, as such, but unless I can get CloneZilla to work - and I may have time to try that this time around - I'm soured on imaging.

'Everything' search program.
-cmpm (April 12, 2012, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've been using Identify Your Files [iyf-x], which has performed well on all but one (1) machine.  Have Everything loaded on a different box, but not really happy with it.  I tend to use File Search Pro (Agent Ransack, and I wish they'd kept the name  ;).)

my "copy-into-winnt" folder - a bunch of no-install-needed single-exe-file utilities I use constantly
-x16wda (April 12, 2012, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
My standalone folder is util, but same thing - and has some of the handiest utils on my systems.

WinPatrol Pro should have been on the list, but I forgot it.  Clipboard Help & Spell and Screenshot Captor will be there, but not necessary on initialization.  I'll also add the video diary, since I'll have a bit more room/RAM.  For passwords, I'm using RoboHelp Portable - prolly last time I'll upgrade it, so LastPass or KeyPass will be checked for viability (and portability).

I added an edit to the original - kvm software.  I've had varied results, so looking for something [possibly] better.

Mind you, the original list is not a complete loading, just the necessaries to get up and running.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version