ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Newbie Needs Advice For Packaging Audio

(1/3) > >>

Erika305:
Hi.

I am new and this is my first post. I know absolutely nothing about what you all do here but I was told that this was the place to be if you want information about products and other tech stuff so I made a donation and here I am.

I am a writer and I have audio that I record and I would like to store it online somewhere and sell it like this woman has. I have no clue how to get started. Does anyone know how to do this, if there is something I need to buy and how to add a cart to my blog so people can purchase.

Thanks for reading. =)

app103:
Hi, Erika. Welcome to the site.

I got a chance to see the site you are talking about (before the link was removed) and it seems to be using 1shoppingcart.

mouser:
Perhaps a good way to phrases this is: does anyone have any suggestions for tools/software and just general guidance for someone who wants to sell digital media content like audio or video recordings / podcasting.

Renegade:
Hello Erika,

First, make certain that your audio is in an acceptable and usable format to start with. e.g. 44,100 Hz @ 16 bits minimum in mono or stereo as is applicable. e.g. Loops should be stereo, while voice can be mono.

44.1, 48, 96, and 192 kHz are the most common sampling rates. Use 16, 24 or 32 bit depths. 16 is usually enough, though some people will insist on higher. Depends on your target market.

Encode your audio in whatever format the sales site asks for, e.g. MP3, FLAC, OGG, etc.

However, you should have lossless versions in FLAC or WAV format for the actual sale (or AIFF or whatever the site looks for according to its audience - e.g. PCM is rare). MP3 is fine to check, and ok for amateur purposes, but professionals will want lossless audio.

If you're making your own site, I'd recommend selling in multiple formats, FLAC, WAV, and AIFF, that include 44.1 and 48 kHz at a minimum at 16 and 24 bits.

That covers most of your bases.

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend using Audacity as an audio editor, but DO NOT encode MP3s with it - use something else. (There's a bug in there and it's nasty.)

Once you graduate to greater proficiency, look into other editors. I use Samplitude, but it's not the only option. I would highly recommend it though.

FYI - I do audio programming, so I know a few things about audio. Check my sig below for a link. There is a lot more to say about things, but the above should be enough to get you started, provided you already have some basic knowledge on the topic of audio and the above isn't totally Greek. :)

For the web stuff, I could go on at length, but you've not provided much information to go on. e.g. What blog software do you use? Once that's answered, someone can chime in and tell you about a few options.

Best of luck to you~! :D

Erika305:
Wow. Thanks everyone! I know nothing about this topic and you guys just WHOOSHED right in and offered expert advice. Sorry if I didn't phrase my question correctly. I'll try better next time.

I am actually interested in coding just a little, but I'll ask more questions later. Please don't be frustrated with me, your world is brand new to me. =)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version