ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are We Addicted to "NEW"?

<< < (2/2)

kfitting:
I agree with Josh's assessment above.  Another related issue, however, is that a lack of updates shows that whenever the next windows comes out I could be screwed.  I understand this usually is not a huge issue, but you never know when (or how) a program will break on the newest OS.

Wether new features are added or not, I like to see bugs fixed (as Josh mentioned) and I like to know I'm set for the near future.  Seeing a lack of updates does not give me confidence for these two critical areas.

Also, somewhat related, I agree with the recent conversation on DC about import/export being absolutely necessary for most programs (within their genre).  This also is a huge factor in me even trying a program.

I look for consistent updates (or author activity) and import/export.  Without those... I usually dont even try a program, even if I think it looks impressive.

Edit: Forgot to add, while it sounds like I totally disagree with the OP assessment... I actually do think we are addicted to "new."  And I also agree with barney that we are encouraged by it.  One of the side effects of capitalism (through marketing).  The first 2-3 chapters of "The Harried Leisure Class" talks about how our sense of time has changed... I would like to try a "slower" time for a bit!

TaoPhoenix:
I agree with the "developer freshness" bit! When I was doing TreeDB surveys, one of the close contenders lost out because its web-book export code hadn't been updated since 2006. So here we are in 2012, sure the rest of the program had seen revisions, but that glaring lack of a feature fix (and it was flawed code to be sure!) struck home. The one I use now won in part because the developers also keep a forum, and it's not just a "black hole send us your comments".

Menwhile, since it's a broad question, we are definitely addicted to new: Look at the state of news and/or opinion reporting. If the news is more than a week old we go "ho hum!" Contrast this when (at least in the SciFi reprint market) Isaac Asimov's story Nightfall was reprinted for *30 years!*.

And my closing argument:
"Raise your hands those of you grumpy with Google. ... Good. ... Now raise your hands if you keep typing +1 to say that you like posts!"  :P

TaoPhoenix:
The first 2-3 chapters of "The Harried Leisure Class" talks about how our sense of time has changed... I would like to try a "slower" time for a bit!
-kfitting (April 11, 2012, 05:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

It got so bad at home hanging out on the computer that I turned off all my clocks completely except for setting an alarm for work. I just would stare at the marching time and get paralyzed by it!

Edvard:
Though not directly related, i was just reminded of this comic while going through the thread. :)
-lanux128
--- End quote ---
Too bad the Linux aspect of that is false.
-Josh
--- End quote ---

Remember?  I fixed that:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=25865.msg244281#msg244281

zridling:
Too bad the Linux aspect of that is false. -Josh (April 11, 2012, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

How so? I haven't paid a dime for anything on my Linux systems in almost six years. (Hint: You're doing it wrong, or else you're doing it wrong.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version