Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 17, 2014, 02:33:17 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Software Install Tip: When windows wants to reboot, I suggest you let it  (Read 2937 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »

I recently had a problem with my pc that i managed to recover from, but it's once again reminded me that it may be asking for serious trouble to put off a request to reboot your computer.

You know the drill -- you run a windows update, or you install or uninstall some software, and you get the dialog saying something like "Windows needs to restart" with buttons to restart now, or do it manually later:

Now I don't know about you but I often click the button labeled for "I'll do it later myself", and tell myself i'll do it in just a minute.

But then time flies and I forget, and don't get around to rebooting for quite some time.

I'm here to tell you that this is really playing with fire and could come back to bite you badly.

The problem is that when windows wants to reboot to finish installing or uninstalling stuff, it has created entries in your registry to do operations like delete directories, replace files, etc.

And if you postpone rebooting, and then do something that could interefere with these operations (like deleting temporary files, etc.), you could be in for a world of pain -- and sometimes you might not even realize you are doing things that would conflict with these reboot-enabled-operations.

I think in general it's also dangerous because when you make a change that requires a reboot, it's probably a very good idea indeed to make sure they didn't change anything that cause you to have problems booting -- rather than postponing the discovery until 10 different things are installed.

Anyway just my 2 cents -- when windows wants to reboot, let it reboot without much delay.
db90h
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Member

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »

+1
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. I tend to reboot, oh, say, maybe next week...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:36:10 AM »

There's always WhyReboot, for those of us anal enough to want to know why. It's not perfect (seems abandoned) but all it does is query information, so I'd recommend it.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41:01 AM »

WhyReboot is an excellent tool.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:48:11 AM »

^^ +1 for WhyReboot and the dev even dropped by some time back..

http://www.donationcoder....ic=1710.msg46620#msg46620

PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:59:23 AM »

There's also Pending File Moves:

Pending File Moves is really simple application that displays a list of pending file rename/delete operations, that take place the next time the system boots.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/vaul...oftware.php#pendfilemoves

Source code available too.
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:14:09 AM »

even worse situation: You (ehmmm...: "I"!) know that Windows wants to reboot, but you install a large recovery program, and and makes an Uninstaller_Pro do the installation. You re-boot, and the Uninstaller_Pro scans and now has a wrong idea of the program you installed. You ("I") use Uninstaller_Pro to remove the recovery program, and puff!!! Windows is no longer available!

At least that is how I imagine it happened, when I lost my Vista.

Thanks for the reminder,mouser!  thumbs up
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:20:38 AM by Curt; Reason: notify » Logged
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »

Nice tip on WhyReboot. I only had a couple of Flash updates that needed rebooting, though it's annoying that another one appeared AFTER I rebooted. Heh - I'll reboot later (eek!) because I got trapped on CodingHorror!

(Now I have 12 tabs to read!)  tongue

db90h
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Member

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »

WhyReboot is very reminiscent of my old http://bitsum.com/other.php#movelatr]console mode MoveLatr utility, which not only enumerated pending move operations, but also allowed you to set them (including delete a file). I distributed it with full source code.. a decade ago (EDIT: 12 YEARS AGO). Been a while.

--- Summary of MoveLater (12 years old, it its teens ;p) --

LICENSE: Freeware, Open Source.

MoveLatr (aka MoveLater) is a nice console mode utility: http://bitsum.com/other.php#movelatr. Freeware, and open source at that. You can not only view pending operations by just running it, but also *set* them, including deletions.

Of course, looking at the source code now, it would look a lot different if I coded it these days Wink. Though I'm not sure that HTML markup is the latest copy of the source, need to check.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:34:55 AM by db90h » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.039s | Server load: 0.07 ]