Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 19, 2014, 10:10:27 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED: how to remove middl-click hotkey from Explorer?  (Read 1249 times)
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »

I don't know but I don't think Middle-click (in white area in Explorer) => "Go to parent folder" is a native Explorer shortcut hotkey in Win 7 - but my Explorer has it. I don't like it; Double-left-click is already giving the exact same effect. I #feel# certain Microsoft did not give me two almost identical accelerator keys for the same feature, so I #guess# the hotkey must have come from some program I have been trialing but now have removed; I have searched all installed programs to look for hotkey settings.

So my question is, how can I now remove this unwanted feature? I wanted to test Folder Menu 3 that uses Middle-click in Explorer (and on the desktop) to open its menu, but it would only seldom do so, most of the time Explorer would jump to the mother-folder instead. I was of course hoping FM3 would override Explorer, but that only happened a few times.

On the Internet I have found several articles on how to change keyboard shortcuts, but I have not found any relevant article regarding the mouse's wheel. So I need to ask you guys:
How to remove middle-click hotkey from Explorer?  tellme

---------------
64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium DESKTOP. Simple mouse, left-middle-right; no extra buttons.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:27:18 PM by Curt; Reason: desktop » Logged
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:31:21 AM »

The mouse middle-click feature did not come from Windows:

Quote from: support.microsoft
NewKreation
Charter Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:50 AM »

The following app will detect what global keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys) are currently registered on the computer by various applications:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1770

Evangelism - Just Do It!
NewKreation
Charter Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »

After using the software, I noticed that the mouse buttons are not listed...sorry  Sad

Evangelism - Just Do It!
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »

-thanks,  NewKreation.  
I knew about the program but not about the site; now a useful shortcut  thumbs up

A problem with this middle-click is of course that it is not a global feature, but for Explorer only; Ethervane ActiveHotkeys and other similar scanners cannot find it.
Besides:

This application does not work correctly on 64-bit versions of Windows. Use it on 32-bit versions only.
AndyM
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »

If you can't figure out where this assignment came from, you could always re-assign ("over"assign?) the middle click action to nothing when triggered in an explorer window.  Should be easily done in AutoHotkey.  Treating the symptom and not the cause, but how desperate are you?
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »

I no longer care for the diagnose, only the cure.

I have both AutoHotkey and AutoIt installed. What to do next?  tellme
AndyM
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 01:21:17 PM »

something like:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class ExploreWClass
MButton::
return
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »

wow, that was easy!
Thanks a lot, AndyM  thumbs up
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.072s | Server load: 0.04 ]