topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kid's homemade cardboard carnival arcade (video)  (Read 9259 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Kid's homemade cardboard carnival arcade (video)
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Fun video of a kid with a passion for making his own carnival games, who is surprised by a flashmob of supportive fans.

Caine Monroy is a 9-year old boy who spent his summer vacation building an elaborate DIY cardboard arcade in his dad’s used auto parts store.

Caine dreamed of the day he would have lots of customers visit his arcade, and he spent months preparing everything, perfecting the game design, making displays for the prizes, designing elaborate security systems, and hand labeling paper-lunch-gift-bags. However, his dad’s autoparts store (located in an industrial part of East LA) gets almost zero foot traffic, so Caine’s chances of getting a customer were very small, and the few walk in customers that came through were always in too much of a hurry to get their auto part to play Caine’s Arcade. But Caine never gave up.

Kid's New Website: http://cainesarcade.com/

from http://boingboing.ne...iy-cardboard-ar.html

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kid's homemade cardboard carnival arcade (video)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Cute story. Thanks for sharing. :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 03:21 AM »
Okay, super followup video here showing loads of wonderful stuff made by kids all over the world, inspired by Cain's Arcade.

They started the Imagination Foundation
The Imagination Foundation formed three days after the Caine’s Arcade short film was posted online with a mission to find, foster, and fund creativity and entrepreneurship in more kids like Caine. We received a $250,000 Matching Challenge Grant from the Goldhirsh Foundation two days later to help build the Imagination Foundation.

Amongst other things, they are organising a Global Cardboard Challenge with events all over the world on October 6th
www.cardboardchallenge.com

Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:26 AM »
And not so exciting, but some very interesting moments: 'Caine Monroy, Visiting Lecturer of Entrepreneurship at USC' (University of Southern California).
That's four videos, I mostly just let them run in the background myself.

Shows footage of first visit to the arcade by Nirvan (the filmmaker); interview with Cain, his dad and Nirvan. Nirvan is an interesting guy, talks a bit about the going viral experience--towards the end of the third video I think (would have been nice to hear more though).

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=related
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Fun video of a kid with a passion for making his own carnival games, who is surprised by a flashmob of supportive fans.

Videmo videos always seem to have poor bandwidth to me, so here is a YouTube copy.
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=faIFNkdq96U

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 12:21 PM »
And not so exciting, but some very interesting moments: 'Caine Monroy, Visiting Lecturer of Entrepreneurship at USC' (University of Southern California).

That's just an awesome title he's gonna love in a couple of years when it sinks in.
Also, this kiddo will be fun to watch in about three years whether either he gets some "Venture Capital" (maybe for better materials than cardboard), or else he decides the whole thing was something he'd rather forget.

P.s. He'd better give a Fun Pass to an Accountant!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:39 PM by TaoPhoenix »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Actually not to snark, but I think he's gonna have 400,000+ for his college, because of the matching grant by that foundation, will college really cost 400,000 per year by then?  :o

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 03:08 AM »
Actually not to snark, but I think he's gonna have 400,000+ for his college, because of the matching grant by that foundation, will college really cost 400,000 per year by then?  :o

the money thing is very confusing there - they say that it will be matched by xyz trust up to 250,000. At first I presumed that this was for their foundation but it looks like all that money is for him. I dont know will the extra 250 grand go to him as well o_0

He can party a lot  :-\
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:54 AM »
Actually not to snark, but I think he's gonna have 400,000+ for his college, because of the matching grant by that foundation, will college really cost 400,000 per year by then?  :o

the money thing is very confusing there - they say that it will be matched by xyz trust up to 250,000. At first I presumed that this was for their foundation but it looks like all that money is for him. I dont know will the extra 250 grand go to him as well o_0

He can party a lot  :-\

Very roughly it looks like it's all locked away in a trust or something, no $100 parties every week for 10 years as I see it.

Edit though $100 / week parties are how the 1% works, so why not?