topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: World's first 'sky-worthy' car (And It Works!)  (Read 6741 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
World's first 'sky-worthy' car (And It Works!)
« on: April 09, 2012, 04:38 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk.../technology-17626818

US company Terrafugia has put on display a prototype car that is licensed to fly as well as drive, at the New York International Auto Show.

It is the first vehicle in the world to have met both the standards of the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) and the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), according to Cliff Allen, Vice President of Sales at Terrafugia.

This makes it the first "street legal aeroplane", he said.

Known as the Transition, the versatile vehicle has two seats, four wheels and retractable wings.
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We were curious to see how it would take off”
Dr Samuel Schwegart
Engineer, Terrafugia

It is expected to be available next year, with a price tag in the region of $279,000 (£176,300).

Very VERY Reasonable price for what it is...It puts it in the price range of many more people than I had expected...

Cant wait to see them in showrooms!

(Video of it on the link)

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../technology-17626818

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: World's first 'sky-worthy' car (And It Works!)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:39 PM »
http://www.terrafugia.com/ | www.driventofly.com

The companies actual websites :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:16 PM »
I thought I saw on TV years ago a little car that could fly AND be driven into water as a boat. . .

And I'm not talking about on a fiction show. Anyone else have an idea of what I'm talking about?

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:24 PM »
I thought I saw on TV years ago a little car that could fly AND be driven into water as a boat. . .

And I'm not talking about on a fiction show. Anyone else have an idea of what I'm talking about?

There is an Aircraft that is called the Icon A5 - Its only recently gone into development though, so unsure its the same thing...also with the fact the A5 has to be LANDED on water, not driven, I am starting to wonder why I bothered starting to write this reply, knowing it will be of no use to you at all  :-[

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 05:46 PM »

There is an Aircraft that is called the Icon A5 - Its only recently gone into development though, so unsure its the same thing...also with the fact the A5 has to be LANDED on water, not driven, I am starting to wonder why I bothered starting to write this reply, knowing it will be of no use to you at all  :-[
-Stephen66515 (April 09, 2012, 05:24 PM)

Well that was totally useless.  ;) ;D :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:00 PM »
Actually I finally clicked through to the link you shared (:-[) and saw the image of the flying car and it looks so similar to the car I had in mind that it just may be the same one!

It's entirely possible that the TV show I saw was about multiple prototype cars, some of which could fly, some of which could be driven into the water, and my memory somehow combined them into a single car that could do all three.

So you weren't useless at all. My memory was! :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I was hoping they'd show video of it being driven down the street. I remember years back there was a street legal auto you could fly. But you pulled a trailer with the wings in it.  You had to take the wings from the trailer and latch them on. Also there was the problem of storing the trailer while airborne.  If you landed in a different city and wanted to drive it, then I guess you either paid to store your wings at that airport or rented a trailer? :)

The nose on the thing looked similar to a Piper Cub single engine job.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 06:35 PM »
I was hoping they'd show video of it being driven down the street. I remember years back there was a street legal auto you could fly. But you pulled a trailer with the wings in it.  You had to take the wings from the trailer and latch them on. Also there was the problem of storing the trailer while airborne.  If you landed in a different city and wanted to drive it, then I guess you either paid to store your wings at that airport or rented a trailer? :)

http://www.terrafugia.com/video_D2.html <--- Video driving down the street, filling up with fuel, then going to the airport for a flight :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 04:36 AM »
Another slant - yeah, was already posted :p :D

Well, here's another flying story:

http://rt.com/news/t...lying-car-plane-392/

For decades science fiction writers, and their more practical cousins, engineers, have dreamt of building a flying car. Now that one is about to arrive on the market, the real question emerges: what are flying cars actually for?

US company Terrafugia has variously labeled its Transition model as a “roadable aircraft” and a “street-legal airplane”, perhaps in a quest to avoid the inherent fantastical connotations of “flying car.” Particularly when they are trying to make customers shell out $279,000 for each one.

But functionally, the Transition is definitely a flying car.

Practical or not, it definitely seems cool! :D

they say you could get a better plane *and* car for that price - so I'll probably do that instead ;)
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:37 AM »
There's yet another out as well - but it's a helicopter/car.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 05:34 PM »
I was hoping they'd show video of it being driven down the street. I remember years back there was a street legal auto you could fly. But you pulled a trailer with the wings in it.  You had to take the wings from the trailer and latch them on. Also there was the problem of storing the trailer while airborne.  If you landed in a different city and wanted to drive it, then I guess you either paid to store your wings at that airport or rented a trailer? :)

http://www.terrafugia.com/video_D2.html <--- Video driving down the street, filling up with fuel, then going to the airport for a flight :)
-Stephen66515 (April 09, 2012, 06:35 PM)

Cool. I'd hate to get in a fender bender if I had to fly the thing home though.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 06:30 PM »
  From what I've read about it they say it don't handle very well on the road or the air....

This is not the first flying car, I've seen at least a couple others over the last 10 years.  I think they're saying this is the first "Mass produced" flying car perhaps?

I think I'll just stick with aircraft.  I have a nice RAF 2000 2 seat gyrocopter right now.  Unfortunately I have to sell it because of medical reasons....   :(