ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Xvid Video converter for Windows 7 x64 - any ideas?

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Looking for freeware to convert lots of files to XviD format.

My old DVD Home Theatre system played a variety of formats - I have replaced it with a BD Home Theatre system but it no longer supports DivX only Xvid and MKV so I need to convert a lot of DivX (and other AVI) files to XviD (preferred) format.

Anyone got any ideas for good freeware (I have already spent too much on video converters!).

I have TMPGEnc Xpress 4 but for some reason it crashes when reading some of the file formats although they play fine in WMP, WM Classic and DivX players ???

I have spent aged looking for suitable software via Google but as usual google gives Freeware = Free to download = Pay for it.

eleman:
Sorry in advance for taking your time with something other than the solution, but...

I wish you rather considered replacing the new unit with one playing all formats you require, rather than converting the files you have. You know, every conversion takes something away quality-wise.

As to your question: WinFF

Carol Haynes:
Sorry but I am not going to dump a less than 1 year old BD home cinema system so that I can play some rather dodgy DivX files! I know the conversion will be lossy but most of them aren't great to start with so it won't that much difference.

Thanks for the link to WinFF.

eleman:
Sorry but I am not going to dump a less than 1 year old BD home cinema system
-Carol Haynes (April 09, 2012, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Uh, I thought the new system was really new (i.e. one week old or so) so that you could give it back and get another one.

skwire:
What about an add-on device like a Boxee Box, WD Live, or Apple TV, etc., to play your files?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version