topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BBM Private Messages Torpedoed in India  (Read 2273 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
BBM Private Messages Torpedoed in India
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Well, looks like yet another shot at privacy with RIM succumbing to pressure from India in allowing the Indian govt. access to private BBM messages.

http://www.therecord...-blackberry-messages

After a battle lasting almost two years, BlackBerry maker Research In Motion has knuckled under to the Indian government, giving security forces in that country access to private instant messages.

Experts say the change, first reported in the newsmagazine India Today, could lead to similar access for other spy agencies and government bodies around the world — if they don’t already have it.

Sad day for RIM and Indians. :(

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BBM Private Messages Torpedoed in India
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:49 AM »
Living in a city that's been hit by terrorists almost at will, I can't help but be indifferent to the privacy concerns here. In any case, I've always gone under the assumption that the government has (or can get) access to any info they really want. The Indian government doesn't need to use unnecessary fear-tactics to chip away at our privacy either, the combination of their complete ineffectiveness in protecting us so far and a rabid neighbor that has used terror as a state policy for decades, take care of that.