ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

yet another file manager thread...

<< < (5/10) > >>

x16wda:
for me the most important file management related tool is not a file manager but [url=http://www.listary
-Lutz_ (April 10, 2012, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

:up: :up: Agree on several counts!  Listary rocks (I even paid for the licensed version), and it works great in xplorer2 (like other add-ins - Supercopier, shell extensions, etc)!

DonL:
As someone who works a fair bit with images, but needs/wants a file manager (not photo-management) I gotta say I'm disappointed by *all* the big file managers. DOpus is the most image friendly, but even there there are some very basic image needs ignored (and I have posted in the forums & made official requests without success).-tomos (April 10, 2012, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting, tell me more. I'm currently thinking about developing XY more towards the needs of photographers...

rjbull:
[...] TC advantages:

* plugins - amongst hundreds of them content ones are used by me the most. They not only give nice column views [...]
* *.ext - It may be just me but I don't like to have full file names: name must be in separate column and name only. I like to group files by their types-fenixproductions (April 09, 2012, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I struggle to set "nice column views"   :-[

For grouping files, I usually just sort by extension.

tomos:
As someone who works a fair bit with images, but needs/wants a file manager (not photo-management) I gotta say I'm disappointed by *all* the big file managers. DOpus is the most image friendly, but even there there are some very basic image needs ignored (and I have posted in the forums & made official requests without success).-tomos (April 10, 2012, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting, tell me more. I'm currently thinking about developing XY more towards the needs of photographers...
-DonL (April 10, 2012, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

There must be a lot of other people out there who work with images but need a filemanager, not photo-management.
Me, I use images for work, mostly scans: tiffs, jpegs - colour, greyscale, "lineart" (just B/W).
I also use images (photos/scans) for keeping records.
I also use dopus for 'casual' personal photo use.

Important things for me are:

* A viewer with a separate full window where I can go through the images in the sort-order they are showing in the filemanager
* A viewer that "talks" with the filemanager - if I start off by opening image #1 from the filemanager in the viewer, and work my way through to image #53 -if I close the viewer then- I want image #53 to now be selected in the filemanager - or at least to have focus
* An easy way of opening the image currently in the viewer in an external editor
* An easy way of copying the filepath of the image currently showing in the viewer
* Consistent handling of different image filetypes; easy way to zoom in and move around the image (e.g. to check quality; or read some text in the image)
I have XY as well, can have another look at that and get back to you - probably better in your forums though :-)
FWIW you can see my Dopus image toolbar here (I mostly just use the rotate buttons)

DonL:
Important things for me are:

* A viewer with a separate full window where I can go through the images in the sort-order they are showing in the filemanager
* A viewer that "talks" with the filemanager - if I start off by opening image #1 from the filemanager in the viewer, and work my way through to image #53 -if I close the viewer then- I want image #53 to now be selected in the filemanager - or at least to have focus
* An easy way of opening the image currently in the viewer in an external editor
* An easy way of copying the filepath of the image currently showing in the viewer
* Consistent handling of different image filetypes; easy way to zoom in and move around the image (e.g. to check quality; or read some text in the image)-tomos (April 10, 2012, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's all there in XY already.
Conc. the "separate full window", you have a "full screen preview" in XY which might not be exactly what you want.
Conc. "easy way to zoom in and move around the image" XY has its famous "Mouse Down Blow Up" (mouse down on thumbnails pops the image in original size and "move-aroundable"). I have never seen anything better anywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version