ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

yet another file manager thread...

<< < (4/10) > >>

rjbull:
I can't imagine working without my beloved ZTreeWin. If you're keyboard freak like me, I bet nothing can beat it regarding the speed and effectiveness of work.-yksyks (April 09, 2012, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Console mode makes it amazingly responsive.  Generous license, too, and so is the license for Total Commander, no upgrade fee in 13 years.

fenixproductions:
TC only but I must say that I've probably tested ALL of them.

There are few reasons against other managers but I'd rather focus on main TC advantages:

* plugins - amongst hundreds of them content ones are used by me the most. They not only give nice column views but are also usable for renaming, view filters or… files names colouring. There are so many places for them that I can't even write all them down without deeper thought.
* speed - somehow other FMs were always slow for me (DO being sad leader for that). Placebo?
* explorer.exe - TC does not rely on Windows Explorer, other FM - may do. Such feature may not be usable for portable scenario or when you need to resurrect someone's system. On the other hand: copying with explorer can be bothersome if one of the files fails.
* *.ext - It may be just me but I don't like to have full file names: name must be in separate column and name only. I like to group files by their types because more likely I remember the kind of work I am at (oh! few PSDs to edit). TC makes it easier.

tomos:
As someone who works a fair bit with images, but needs/wants a file manager (not photo-management) I gotta say I'm disappointed by *all* the big file managers. DOpus is the most image friendly, but even there there are some very basic image needs ignored (and I have posted in the forums & made official requests without success).

Still it's what I use and I do like it - I am really a fairly basic user, but I do have it customised enough to make my life easier (I made a series of posts in the Configuring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit thread).

I find it strange that they hide so much of it's power in the default install, XYplorer is much more open & accessible that way.

sicknero:
(...) the combination of QTTabBar, ClassicShell and FolderMenu v3, the W7 Explorer does pretty much everything I want. (...)-sicknero (April 09, 2012, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

-except that I am using QTTabbar 1.5 Beta 2, StExBar, Hyperionics FileBox eXtender (FbX), Better File Rename, TeraCopy Pro, and ShellToys. I do not love Windows 7....
-Curt (April 09, 2012, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes exactly ... I forgot to mention all the other extras I use to make W7 do what I want it to, in the way that I want it to ... TeraCopy, AgentRansack, AdvancedRenamer, 7zip, EditPad, FSViewer, the list goes on and on.

On the plus side I do like the W7 "Preview Pane" a lot, I use it loads ... even though you have to a; install a codecs pack (I use Shark), b; Use Ramesh's "Preview Config" to tell W7 that you would please like it to display in Preview all the file types you've just installed the codecs for, and c; leave WMP as the default handler for all media files otherwise the Preview Pane just stops working...

But surely this has always been an essential part of the sheer fun of being a Windows user... the immense feeling of satisfaction and completeness that you get from adding endless 3rd party apps to make it behave how you want it to.... :)

Lutz_:
Whatever file manager I would be using (currently "xplorer2"), for me the most important file management related tool is not a file manager but Listary - it makes navigating so much faster and easier after remembering two keyboard shortcuts (it works great with xplorer2).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version