ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

yet another file manager thread...

<< < (3/10) > >>

x16wda:
But of course I must now re-test Xplorer2; I have forgotten why I didn't like it.
-Curt (April 09, 2012, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yah, with what, 30 or 40 options, it's hard to keep them all straight...  :D

Steven Avery:
Hi,

I accidentally had to restore from the recycle bin the other day.  Xyplorer was great, they had a built-in proper renaming.  Total Commander was giving me "dd21" file names (although they may have a utility or some special item for this.)  

For registered products I am used to Total Commander, but I would like to be comfy with Xyplorer and xplorer2.  e.g. The search function on Total Commander is not as well integrated as one or both of those. I find no problem with mouse and TC.  Sometimes I find that another one deletes files that TC balks at.  There are tons of little usability areas where each one shines. 

All three are real fine.  Free Commander is the other one I like, fully free (but not quite on the same overall level) and Q-Dir also looks free interesting.  Right now I am working with what I consider the big three, TC xpl, xyp. (Opus is of course up there as well, except for the $ problem.)

Steven

TaoPhoenix:

I'll second Classic Shell. Like it or not, many of us mid-level users "learned computing on XP". So when Win7 (and maybe Vista before that) just decided to move things for the sake of moving things, I was among the many annoyed users. Classic Shell fixed a lot of it (though a few minor things slipped by, no biggie there.)

While not really a tool, I just also turned off most of the visual bling and brought it back more to a classic icon handling.

yksyks:
I can't imagine working without my beloved ZTreeWin. If you're keyboard freak like me, I bet nothing can beat it regarding the speed and effectiveness of work. I'm bringing it everywhere with me on a flash disk.

The new upcoming version (at the moment in beta), includes mode for bulk managing directories. Definitely worth trying!

timns:
I'd like to weigh-in on the side of DOpus. It's a large, complex program but if you commit to it, there's probably nothing you cannot set up.

For example I have a button that converts a list of files on an FTP server into a series of URL's in a single click, and another that opens a number of source tabs based on the contents of downloaded zip files. My two favourites!

This and a lot more is achieved within DOpus itself from its built-in features, and I think that level of automation is probably unique to the program.

But then that's me: I am lazy and get very offended if I have to do repetitive tasks. Every time I feel like something is more effort than it has a right to be, or may be error-prone, I start searching for a way to fix it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version