ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

yet another file manager thread...

(1/10) > >>

x16wda:
Anyone up for another alternate file manager thread?

I ended up buying a lifetime Xplorer2 Ultimate license recently, and it cost me only a wee bit more than my DOpus 2-pc license of a few years ago.  I couldn't stand Win 7 Explorer any longer (the reasons are legion) even though it has improved in some ways from the XP days, and even though I was hoping to find a satisfying free alternative, I couldn't do it.  I tried most of the other pay-fors as well, and almost chose XYplorer but ended up not going that route for several reasons.

I'm liking it more and more the more I use it and I'm very satisfied, but I'm curious about the main reasons folks choose one FM versus another.  Or even why people decide they don't want to use an alternative, even a free one!

highend01:
XYplorer (Pro) in my case, because I really like it's scripting capabilities...

rjbull:
My first file manager, in early DOS days, was Xtree Pro.  When I wanted archive capability, I moved to a non-standard twin-pane file manager, Stereo Shell.  When StS ran out of steam on bigger discs and directories, I changed to freeware File Wizard, a Norton Commander clone with some extensions for LFNs etc.  By the time FW ran out of steam on even bigger discs and later versions of Windows, and didn't gracefully handle admin rights, even I had reluct antlyto accept the reality of Windows, and on the recommendation of my Fidonet sysop went for the superb Total Commander, the first thing I found that made using Windows almost semi-tolerable.  I've remained faithful for about 13 years.  NBut, I also have licenses for ZTreeWin, a native Windows 32-bit console mode extended descendant of the XTree concept.  That was primarily a nostalgia trip, but it's a very capable and responsive file manager.  Finally, I have a license for XYplorer, which I found extremely useful for file finding duties on the network at work.

In short, I use what I do because in a sense I always have.  The ones I use now are mainly lineal descendants of ones I used before, apart from XYplorer.

rgdot:
Long time ago I was happy with Ac Browser Plus, mainly because how well it handled thumbnails and looking in archives. It has been abandoned as far as I know.
In my early DC days I heard about Directory Opus, downloaded a trial and it didn't last long, can't say I remember why. Along the way tried a few others like CubicExplorer but have settled on XYplorer. Looking forward to "Native support for ZIP and RAR" being crossed off XYplorer's roadmap

cyberdiva:
Back in my DOS days, I used and loved Norton Commander.  I don't remember what I did once I moved to Windows, but at some point I used Servant Salamander.  I never was able to feel the enthusiasm for that program that I did for Norton Commander, so I tried some others.  I was about to buy Total Commander when, for some reason, I tried Directory Opus.  I discovered that with DOpus I could have two directories open with detailed listings (which is my preferred setup) and yet, if I moused over a graphics file, I could see a thumbnail of the image without having to leave the detailed listing.   That immediately sold me on Directory Opus.  That was several versions ago, but I've seen no reason to look for another file manager.  DOpus does everything I want and more.  Its complexity is perhaps its one drawback, but that also makes possible the wealth of features I value.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version