ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HowTo open Explorer with admin rights?

<< < (3/4) > >>

barney:
no, I meant a shortcut method
-tomos (April 10, 2012, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

You could always create a Windows shortcut, then give it admin permissions, as well as give admin permissions to existing icons on the desktop or in the Start menu.  You'd have to edit the properties of each individual one (1), however.

Right-click the desktop icon or Start menu entry, select properties, select shortcut tab, click Advanced button, select Run as Administrator checkbox, save.  Doesn't always get rid of the UAC prompt, but does allow to run most software with admin privileges.

tomos:
from StackExchange/Superuser

The Windows 7 shell (Explorer) can be made to run with Administrator privileges by this manual process:

Kill Explorer shell by holding down Shift+Ctrl, right-clicking the Shut down button in the Start Menu, and selecting Exit Explorer
    Start Task Manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc
    Elevate Task Manager privileges by going to Processes tab and selecting Show processes from all users
    Then start up a new instance of the shell by File | Run in Task Manager, typing in explorer, and selecting the Create this task with administrative privileges.

After following the above process, the Windows shell will be running with administrative privileges, and any programs it launches will also have administrative privileges. This makes performing tasks that require the privilege far easier, particularly for command-line applications, which usually fail silently or with an Access denied. message rather than giving an opportunity to use UAC to elevate the process's privileges.

What I'm interested in, though, is creating an account which uses a privileged shell by default, rather than having to follow this laborious process every time. How can it be done?

--- End quote ---

FWIW, the general verdict there is that "creating an account which uses a privileged shell by default" is not a good idea (I didnt read enough to figure out if they know *how* to do it). You could turn off UAC, but that doesnt seem like a good idea either (but I'm not sure if that's why you want to run it elevated?)

tomos:
is there a shortcut-way of starting an app as admin from the start menu -
Ctrl+Click, or something like that?
-tomos (April 09, 2012, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right+Click, select Run as Administrator.
-barney (April 09, 2012, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

no, I meant a shortcut method, one click with a qualifier key - maybe it's in FARR ??
-tomos (April 10, 2012, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I found it :)
Works from the start menu here (wouldnt work for Explorer though):

Using a Keyboard Shortcut

NOTE: This will allow you to temporarily run a program as an administrator once until you close it.

1. Press and hold Ctrl+Shift while opening the program.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes to apply permission to allow the program to run with full permission as an Administrator.
    NOTE: If you are doing this is while logged in as standard user instead of an administrator, then you will need to provide the administrator's password before the program will run as administrator.

--- End quote ---

from the Windowst7 forums:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html

Curt:
-thanks a lot, tomos  :up:

I #imagine/think# that the folders I was denied access to, really doesn't exist! I now think they are leftovers from the previous OS, a 32-bit Vista system. But I have deleted what I could find from Vista, when there were no more private files to recover, so these system folders are empty, because they link to something I have deleted. I #guess# this is why I am denied access; it is not as much a question of rights, but a question of me requesting Explorer to open something that really doesn't exist. As an example: to my understanding, "C:\Documents and Settings" is not a part of Windows 7, but surely must be leftovers from XP > Vista?

So maybe I can now be cool about this little weird problem of mine; it doesn't exist!

Stoic Joker:
The seemingly hidden folder [C:\Documents and Settings]  on a Window 7 Drive is part of Windows 7. It's a virtual link that transparently redirects legacy software to the new [C:Users] directory.

Best not to fiddle with it... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version