Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 29, 2014, 08:01:21 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Text replacement app for Windows?  (Read 2637 times)
Redhat
Charter Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »

Hi all  cheesy

My mum has RSI in her hand and I really think something like TextExpander but for Windows 7. Could anyone recommend anything please?

Free or paid is fine, She would probably pay in the region of $30.

Thanks in advance!
flamerz
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »

i like breevy and phrase express.
timns
Supporting Member

Veni, vidi, debuggi

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »

Hey did you know Donation Coder has its own: Auspex.

At some point it will be easier to find what we do and don't have on the site.

Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »

@ Redhat, Is your mum good at typing without looking at the keyboard?
Several programs of this kind have the problem that they pop-up a box. And if the user is looking at the keyboard, much typing can be for nothing because Windows is waiting for the user to respond to the pop-up box.
timns
Supporting Member

Veni, vidi, debuggi

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »

Auspex can go 'beep' on pop-up...

rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »

if the user is looking at the keyboard, much typing can be for nothing because Windows is waiting for the user to respond to the pop-up box.
This is true, but it's less of a problem if the box pops up at the cursor, as it does with Typing Assistant, to name one I know a bit.  It's also worth knowing that the Big Daddy of the genre, Instant Text, doesn't do that, it has its suggestions window attach under or beside your main application window.

There have been many DC threads on text expanders before...
eleman
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:44:34 AM »

I also like breevy. It is also very handy in fixing common typos.
It also can go on with a single beep, instead of bugging the user with a pop-up.
Also I use the word also too much.
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:47:03 AM »

Would GrepWin do?

Ehtyar.
sicknero
Participant

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 03:42:07 AM »

I had a look at Phrase Express, it does look very good and it's free for private use.
Also Ka Type In... there hasn't been a new version since 2007, but I've been using it for a few days and it's great. Has a slide-out menu for text snippets (triggered by mouse to edge of screen) and also auto-complete with a hot-key.
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 04:46:36 AM »

I'm using TyperTask (free, 53Kb!).  It works in many different programs where previously I had some issues with other programs not expanding. It's been a while so I cannot quite remember the details.
Increase your efficiency by automating your keyboard with TyperTask! This tool simulates keyboard typing, and can be used to instantly type common phrases. Use it to automate chat conversations, website logins, programming code blocks, HTML tags, or anything else you can imagine.

It even has advanced automation features, including launching programs, window activation, delays, and mouse clicks, so it's capable of performing complex tasks. Configuration is easy with simple text files. It has vTask's powerful keyboard simulation engine, so it can handle international codes and system keys such as <Control>.

The included help file demonstrates many TyperTask uses. No installation required.

TyperTask will automate your keyboard when a "signal" is typed.
For example, when you type "hth", it will auto type "Hope this helps!"

Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 07:32:06 AM »

I saw TextAccelerator mentioned recently.

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
joiwind
Participant

carpe momentum

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »

I'm using TyperTask (free, 53Kb!).  It works in many different programs where previously I had some issues with other programs not expanding. It's been a while so I cannot quite remember the details.
Increase your efficiency by automating your keyboard with TyperTask! This tool simulates keyboard typing, and can be used to instantly type common phrases. Use it to automate chat conversations, website logins, programming code blocks, HTML tags, or anything else you can imagine.

It even has advanced automation features, including launching programs, window activation, delays, and mouse clicks, so it's capable of performing complex tasks. Configuration is easy with simple text files. It has vTask's powerful keyboard simulation engine, so it can handle international codes and system keys such as <Control>.

The included help file demonstrates many TyperTask uses. No installation required.

TyperTask will automate your keyboard when a "signal" is typed.
For example, when you type "hth", it will auto type "Hope this helps!"

Nice find justice  Thmbsup

.: I use K-Meleon - the browser you can control - but I love Pale Moon too :.
Redhat
Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »

Wow thank you everyone, sorry for the delay in replying - I had to pay attention to family over Easter  undecided cheesy

I'll take a look at all your suggestions - appreciated!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.26 ]