ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Next big opportunity - ditching the laptop in favor of mobile computing

<< < (3/4) > >>

Target:
To be part innovative part facetious, it could be like playing a musical instrument - half notes and half chords. -TaoPhoenix (April 09, 2012, 07:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought the big attraction of these devices was the absence of cords?

TaoPhoenix:
To be part innovative part facetious, it could be like playing a musical instrument - half notes and half chords. -TaoPhoenix (April 09, 2012, 07:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

-Target (April 09, 2012, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure! It's called Wireless Keyboards! They currently have a wee bit of skip, but one good tech boost will fix that one day.

Deozaan:
--- End quote ---

-Target (April 09, 2012, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice pun. :P

Josh:
I could not sit there all day talking to my stupid PC - I shall stick with typing until I can connect something directly to my brain. And imagine trying to work alongside someone else!

Plus I always have music on. How is one going to compile
--- ---public never static void going to main(String[] give you) { up SwingUtilities.never going to .invokeAndWait(new Runnable() etc. etc.

Personally, I think the future will be sensors that track the nerve impulses that go to the fingers. So you think about typing, and the words appear.

-timns (April 09, 2012, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wait...I was just rick rolled! Well played!

JennyB:
I got a BlackBerry PlayBook after I sat on my Kindle, and am now using it for most of my simpler tasks (such as writing this reply!). I really like the smaller 7" format - it is large enough to work with but will fit in a small bag or a large pocket, so it goes everywhere with me.  :P

There is certainly a great opportunity for developing really productive apps. The PlayBook has a great multi-tasking OS that allows several to be open at the same time, but it would be nice to have a framework that allowed them to communicate with each other more.

Predictive typing has got much better recently, but it still has problems, particularly in quickly correcting mispredictions, or indicating that a predicted word has the right stem but the wrong ending. A really good predictive command line could replace menus for many apps, with each simply supplying a tree of the commands to which they can respond.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version