ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Next big opportunity - ditching the laptop in favor of mobile computing

<< < (2/4) > >>

wraith808:
I wonder when the keyboard as an input device will be something that hasn't been done before successfully but has been hinted at, i.e. a roll up sheet that pulls out of the device or a series of input keys that are projected onto a surface.

But looking realistically at it, is this form factor meant for things that require a keyboard, i.e. coding and such?  If dictation gets better (as it seems to be), then writing wouldn't require a keyboard, nor many other things that we use it for.  Then biometrics could be used in place of password manipulation, and other things can already be reliably done using the screen.  Is it truly that the expectations of keyboard input (other than for coding, which I don't think could be reliably done with another input) the only thing that ties us to the keyboard?

timns:
I could not sit there all day talking to my stupid PC - I shall stick with typing until I can connect something directly to my brain. And imagine trying to work alongside someone else!

Plus I always have music on. How is one going to compile
--- ---public never static void going to main(String[] give you) { up SwingUtilities.never going to .invokeAndWait(new Runnable() etc. etc.

Personally, I think the future will be sensors that track the nerve impulses that go to the fingers. So you think about typing, and the words appear.

Deozaan:
Personally, I think the future will be sensors that track the nerve impulses that go to the fingers. So you think about typing, and the words appear.
-timns (April 09, 2012, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

The future will be when Apple or similar tyrannical company takes over the world and decides for us all every program we'd ever want and nobody will ever think of a different kind of program or different features. Or if they do, they will be ridiculed, exiled, and/or turned into soylent greens. There won't be any more programmers because there won't be anything new to program.

Thus, the single device with a simple single button will be all we'll ever need. Who knows, maybe some day even that single button won't be necessary. . .

Why? Because Apple will know exactly what's best for us to see or do at any given moment and will tell us so. :P

(And now that I've poked fun at Apple, it actually does sound eerily similar to some of the things said by the head honchos at Google! :tellme:)

wraith808:
I could not sit there all day talking to my stupid PC - I shall stick with typing until I can connect something directly to my brain. And imagine trying to work alongside someone else!

Plus I always have music on. How is one going to compile
--- ---public never static void going to main(String[] give you) { up SwingUtilities.never going to .invokeAndWait(new Runnable() etc. etc.

-timns (April 09, 2012, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

other than for coding, which I don't think could be reliably done with another input
-wraith808 (April 09, 2012, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

TaoPhoenix:
I think we have a strange form factor vs usage "artifact" going on here.

There's no reason a laptop has to be as "heavy as it is". So take it for granted that they will have boosted the specs of "Tablet Laptops". Then you just make it have a "detachable keyboard". I think I read that there'sa colossal breakthrough zone in a couple of different methods of data storage, completely end-of-lifing spinning hard disks soon. (3 years to bring the price down?)

So then we're left with the Input factor. Keyboards vs X Y and Z.
Keyboard is the heavy hitter, and that includes thin rollup keyboards and holograph on desk keyboards, etc. It's one touch per letter/item that counts (even if they fiddle with non-Qwerty, that's just ancient inertia still undead-lurching on.)

So then you get the next thing, if "minority gestures" either in the air or on a desk can save time. Dunno. In my opinion to do that, you'd need a better OS that somehow chunks data without requiring every single letter to be typed but without a lot of click overhead to switch back to single key mode to edit file names, or code, etc.

To be part innovative part facetious, it could be like playing a musical instrument - half notes and half chords.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version