ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Flying Car

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
Well, here's another flying story:

http://rt.com/news/transition-flying-car-plane-392/

For decades science fiction writers, and their more practical cousins, engineers, have dreamt of building a flying car. Now that one is about to arrive on the market, the real question emerges: what are flying cars actually for?

US company Terrafugia has variously labeled its Transition model as a “roadable aircraft” and a “street-legal airplane”, perhaps in a quest to avoid the inherent fantastical connotations of “flying car.” Particularly when they are trying to make customers shell out $279,000 for each one.

But functionally, the Transition is definitely a flying car.

--- End quote ---

Practical or not, it definitely seems cool! :D

mahesh2k:
Fuel. That seems to be the problem here. People are already wasting fuel in NASCAR/Formula 1. If this flying car gets into the market, fuel sources on earth will go down in one year. Another point is about safety. Jetson animation is hard to realize on practical  terms.

Renegade:
Fuel. That seems to be the problem here. People are already wasting fuel in NASCAR/Formula 1. If this flying car gets into the market, fuel sources on earth will go down in one year. Another point is about safety. Jetson animation is hard to realize on practical  terms.
-mahesh2k (April 05, 2012, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not so sure that fuel really is a problem. Countless oil wells in the US are capped. The price of oil is largely artificial.

The vehicle itself is quite light, so as a car, I'm betting that it's fuel consumption is lower than many others.

I'll skip the entire alternative energy thing though -- but suffice it to say that there are plenty of buried energy sources. (Search for something like "buried energy patent" or "free energy" or something like that if you're interested.)

barney:
I dimly recall a TV series starring Robert (Bob) Cummings with something similar.  It was based upon the then VW Bug.  Never saw any reason why it wouldn't work, but I'd hate to see the traffic jams at rush hour  :P.

barney:
Another point is about safety. Jetson animation is hard to realize on practical  terms.
-mahesh2k (April 05, 2012, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm-m-m ... have you looked at the drivers around you on the road today?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version