ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

CISPA is the New SOPA/PIPA/OPEN/ACTA/etc. etc. etc.

<< < (9/9)

IainB:
Good dose of healthy cynicism there, @TaoPhoenix...     :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
I can just see it like a Best Buy upsell plan too!
"Would you like to pay us not to sell your data?"

Edit: It's on a sliding scale! "How many days at a dime-a-day would you like to buy before we sell your data anyway?"

Damn, cynicism used to be social commentary. Now it's actual prophecy.

Renegade:
Just saw this:

Rather humorous.

Renegade:
NECROTHREAD... ARISE!

By the dark powers of all that is unholy,
By the ball-hair of Lucifer and his retarded cousin Molly,

In the name of the blackest blood flowing through cursed veins,
In the name of our darkest princess, Dianne Feinstein...

Yep. You knew it. The psychos would be back with CISPA at some point.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130924/16502824645/tone-deaf-dianne-feinstein-thinks-now-is-good-time-to-revive-cispa.shtml

Tone Deaf Dianne Feinstein Thinks Now Is A Good Time To Revive CISPA

from the what-is-she-smoking? dept

We had believed, along with a number of others, that the Snowden leaks showing how the NSA was spying on pretty much everyone would likely kill CISPA dead. After all, the key component to CISPA was basically a method for encouraging companies to have total immunity from sharing information with the NSA. And while CISPA supporters pretended this was to help protect those companies and others from online attacks, the Snowden leaks have reinforced the idea (that many of us had been pointing out from the beginning) that it was really about making it easier for the NSA to rope in companies to help them spy on people.

--- End quote ---

More at the link.

IainB:
Well, maybe it is merely a politically pragmatic and stealth approach to securing the legal sanction of NSA spying legitimisation whilst avoiding the risk of any more blowback from the Snowden/NSA revelations.
I mean, it could make sense to use CISPA (or some SOPA**/CISPA** permutation/derivative) to legislate implicit sanction for indirect NSA access, and as a lever to gain agreement from senators who might otherwise be reluctant to publicly approve any new, direct access NSA spying legislation.
Those senators might need to save face that way.
From what I have read it's all pretty much a foregone conclusion. It's gone too far, and there's too much at stake, commercially and politically, for government to allow retraction on this matter.
From the evidence - i.e., what we have seen so far - you are arguably up against the usual remorseless totalitarianism/fascism, and if you don't like it then you will have to lump it. Chances of change and survival AS-IS are probably equivalent to the proverbial chances of an ice cube in Hell.
You will get that legislation passed, one way or another, regardless. So, "forgetaboutit" - quote from Donnie Brasco, which context was also American gangsterism.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version