ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

CISPA is the New SOPA/PIPA/OPEN/ACTA/etc. etc. etc.

<< < (8/9) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

Then again, even without CISPA and friends (sounds like a kiddy show!) our favorite .gov folks have this:

"The FBI Workaround For Private Companies To Share Information With Law Enforcement Without CISPA"
"What has been left out of the debate thus far, though, is the model that CISPA appears in many ways to be based upon. The FBI has been information-sharing with private industry for over a decade without a bill like CISPA in place.

In 1997, long-time FBI agent Dan Larkin helped set up a non-profit based in Pittsburgh that “functions as a conduit between private industry and law enforcement.” Its industry members, which include banks, ISPs, telcos, credit card companies, pharmaceutical companies, and others can hand over cyberthreat information to the non-profit, called the National Cyber Forensics and Training Alliance (NCFTA), which has a legal agreement with the government that allows it to then hand over info to the FBI. Conveniently, the FBI has a unit, the Cyber Initiative and Resource Fusion Unit, stationed in the NCFTA’s office. Companies can share information with the 501(c)6 non-profit that they would be wary of (or prohibited from) sharing directly with the FBI."

http://www.ncfta.net/become-ncft-partner
National Cyber-Forensics & Training Alliance

Josh:
Microsoft backs away from CISPA

TaoPhoenix:
Microsoft seems to have tried to sorta stay out of the tracking headlights. I'm not sure what to make of them on these topics.

IainB:
Microsoft seems to have tried to sorta stay out of the tracking headlights. I'm not sure what to make of them on these topics.
-TaoPhoenix (April 28, 2012, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, they probably would back away - wouldn't they? They probably just want to get on with the business of making a mountain of money, by continuing to be the market's de facto monopoly, producing some pretty good software, and without risking unnecessary alienation of their market.
Heck, some people might say - not me you understand - that for all we know, M$ may have even written the initial CISPA draft, but I couldn't possibly comment.

TaoPhoenix:
-TaoPhoenix (April 28, 2012, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, they probably would back away - wouldn't they? They probably just want to get on with the business of making a mountain of money, by continuing to be the market's de facto monopoly, producing some pretty good software, and without risking unnecessary alienation of their market.
-IainB (April 28, 2012, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ooh, you have an interesting theme: Free versions abuse your privacy, and then Microsoft/someone markets "privacy protecting" paid versions. I know all about MS's anti-competitiveness tricks and lock-in, but if they stuck with a classical stance on protecting user privacy we could be watching a nice clash of concepts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version