ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

web dir in excel

(1/4) > >>

kalos:
hello!

I have an EXCEL file and I want to select some cells and append to the begining of the text of each of these cells another specific text (which is constant)

then, urls will be formed in these cells and I want to download the files that these urls point to and make the files open when I click the relevant cell

any idea?

thanks!

AndyM:
For the first part, in the column to the right of the original cells, make a formula to append your constant text:

="YourConstantText"&TheCellAddressToTheLeft

Then copy that formula down, so that each original cell has a cell to the right that now has your url.  (If you have no further need of the original column or the formula, first copy the second column over itself, using PasteValues to turn the formula into fixed data, and then delete the original column.)   Now you have a column of URLs.

Can't help you with the second part since I haven't done that sort of thing b4 and don't have time to play.  If no one here can help, it might be worth asking over in vbaexpress.com, particularly if it is something more easily done with macro code.

Ath:
Another idea:

* Use my Excel2Html utility to process the Excel file into a text file with urls (the template doesn't have to be html for E2H to work 8))
* Feed the textfile to a batch-downloader for downloading the files automagically

kunkel321:
      position of [space]       position -1 (i.e. last letter of first word)    [constant] and first word
                =FIND(" ",A2)       =LEFT(A2,(B2-1))                                    ="www.somesite.com/"&C2
apple pie          6                      apple                                                      www.somesite.com/apple
banana split      7                      banana                                                      www.somesite.com/banana
cherry cola         7                    cherry                                                      www.somesite.com/cherry
ant poo           4                        ant                                                              www.somesite.com/ant

Not sure if this will display correctly...
This would be a possible setup where there is a list of cells and you want the first word of each cell attached to the end of another text string.
Col A is the text
Cols B and C are "behind the scenes" and should be hidden. 
===
My guess would be that this could be used in conjunction with Excel2Html.

x16wda:
If you are using Excel then you should absolutely have ASAP Utilities installed (http://www.asap-utilities.com).  Free for home use, students and charitable institutions.  It makes inserting text to the beginning of the cells a snap.  Along with huge numbers of other things. :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version