ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommend a Free simple Database program for Windows XP

<< < (2/2)

AndyM:
The main reason I don't just use a Microsoft Word (2002) table is there is no way to filter the table and perform queries.
-pschroeter (April 03, 2012, 11:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
If a "filterable and queriable" Word table would do the job, then why not use Excel?

Renegade:
The main reason I don't just use a Microsoft Word (2002) table is there is no way to filter the table and perform queries.
-pschroeter (April 03, 2012, 11:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
If a "filterable and queriable" Word table would do the job, then why not use Excel?
-AndyM (April 04, 2012, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Excel is pretty clunky. You could do some basic stuff in it, but it's still a spreadsheet and not a database, so you end up with something that's easy to create, but clunky to use, and long term, likely more of a stumbling block when the database grows in size.

AndyM:
Sounded like basic stuff was all that was required.  If the level of functionality required would be met by a Word table that one could filter and query, a database manager might be overkill.

Target:
Sounded like basic stuff was all that was required.  If the level of functionality required would be met by a Word table that one could filter and query, a database manager might be overkill.
-AndyM (April 04, 2012, 11:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - I think we're a bit short on detail to make any sort of worthwhile recommendations

the requirement for a DB might be justified if the OP was doing lots of complex filtering and/or analysis (though I can't imagine what or why), but otherwise it's more like cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer.

there are also plenty of cataloguing suites around that would probably fill the bill without building a custom solution

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version